Fly Tying

On a 3 wt I doubt it's going to be a huge issue about how far into the backing a fish might spool you out.

After reading this line ... I started to wonder.

If you have a three weight, and you've got say, a 2# test tippet, and you hook into an 8 pound bass ... or an 8 pound brown trout ... aren't you MORE likely to have the fish take you into the backing?

If you catch the same fish on an 8 weight rod with 10# test tippet, you can likely bring those fish in without letting them run more then a few feet.

I am just pondering ... since I don't have a 3 weight, nor do I use such small tippets.

Mike, I own a 3 wt and 4 wt. I'm thinking of my 3 wt, which is a 7ft rod, I use it in streams where brook trout tend to be pretty small. I have hooked larger fish non the less and invariably with the tippet I use and if the fish runs and if I have no place to run to to chase after it , no way I'm dragging it up through the current and not breaking off once it's made any kind of down stream run. On another note, I've caught 3# bass on this rig and about the same poundage trout, never an 8 lb fish. I think my 3 wt would be a very bad match for an 8 lb brown or salmon, they have a lot of steam behind them. I suspect I would lose the fish before stripping out. I might win on a lake in my boat because I can back down on the fish, or bigger river in the boat or canoe for the same reason.

My little Battenkill reel I use is a 3/4 , I'd venture a guess ( been a long time since I spooled it up with micro backing) that it probably has 65 yards of backing on it. That's 195 ft plus the line. If the fish, any fish, gets even close to 100 ft down river I'm screwed unless I can chase it. I hooked a big brookie with that rod and a soft hackle in a stream. Spring time high water, he thumped and banged, gave me a hard time, he didn't head down river he headed to the bottom and hung the line up on a rock and made short order of the tippet.

First off I can't see a situation that you would be using 7x or 8x tippet for bass fishing.

I wasn't thinking of actually fishing FOR big fish with light gear. But if I am fishing for Bluegill with light gear ... and a big fish decides to take my offering ... I wouldn't want to lose it JUST because I didn't have enough backing.

But I was just pondering ... thanks for the response.

if the fish runs and if I have no place to run to to chase after it , no way I'm dragging it up through the current and not breaking off once it's made any kind of down stream run

That's a good point. The more line you have in the water, the more drag you have on the line, which has the same end result effect as tightening your drag down at the reel: you're asking more and more of your tippet. Usually, long before you run out of backing, the fish (if it's a running fish) puts enough real estate between the two of you, that there's enough line on the water that they can break off by using that drag to its advantage.

First off I can't see a situation that you would be using 7x or 8x tippet for bass fishing.

I wasn't thinking of actually fishing FOR big fish with light gear. But if I am fishing for Bluegill with light gear ... and a big fish decides to take my offering ... I wouldn't want to lose it JUST because I didn't have enough backing.

But I was just pondering ... thanks for the response.

Oh I know, the chance hook up is what you meant.

good Lord, People!!! have we lost our basic skill as anglers to fill a fly reel? Put the line on... then start winding backing on over the line until you get the spool full...

then strip it all off and reverse it. You have the correct amount of backing plus the fly line, to fill the spool! It has been done this way ever since the dawn of fly reels, fly lines, and backing!

and guess what, it still works!! It's common sense.

And to add to the notes already posted, if you get into the backing on a 3 weight, you have damn near zero probability of landing that fish!

It's fly fishing. It's not splitting the atom....

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Flytire & JS I like this common, easy,and accurate method that Ive never used but will from now on. Thank You

good Lord, People!!! have we lost our basic skill as anglers to fill a fly reel? Put the line on... then start winding backing on over the line until you get the spool full...

then strip it all off and reverse it. You have the correct amount of backing plus the fly line, to fill the spool! It has been done this way ever since the dawn of fly reels, fly lines, and backing!

and guess what, it still works!! It's common sense.

And to add to the notes already posted, if you get into the backing on a 3 weight, you have damn near zero probability of landing that fish!

It's fly fishing. It's not splitting the atom....

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Thank you!

This isn't a difficult process. You'll have fly line and backing all over your bedroom or living room for about ten minutes, and in exchange, you have a perfectly filled spool. What's not to love?