Fly Tying
Chia

Squirrel tail

I use a lot of squirrel tail you can take the bone out or leave it in, I wash with dish soap then cover the stump with salt for a week thats it.

I leave the bone in and just let it dry out without salt or anything. I put it in the freezer, which dries it out. The tail is all sinew and bones. I've bought red squirrel tails, (they don't grow around here) and they leave them with the bone in. They put something on the end, which is a lot more meat than a gray squirrel, I don't know what it is...not salt.

The hair is not hollow, so I only use it on streamers. It won't flair that well, either. You can use it on the wing on a muddler, but it doesn't help float it. If you have a high-floating body, like on a popper, that will float the hair on the tail.

Usually, they only stink for a week or two. You can also sprinkle them with borax (a laundry product), which will help kill bugs and dry it out. I do, sometimes, remove the bone, but it's attached with sinew about 1/3 to 1/2 way out, and it is often difficult to strip the tail past that point.

Always wash the fur with shampoo (I use dog shampoo, but I don't suppose it matters) before trying to do anything else. Those little buggers can get nasty!

I am going to use it for popper tails. I tossed it in the freezer with salt on the meaty end. I will wash it after I defrost in a week or two. Thanks for all the info.

I just dip the ends in salt then hang them in the garage to dry out.Wash them with dawn.You can also dye them pretty easy..The grey squirrel is the best to dye.

I cut them off and then use a mix of borax and dawn dish soap and rub it in really well and have an old brush to brush it out, then I rub uncscented hair condition on it then rinse very well. I press it between paper towels then put the entire tail in a box and cover it with borax to dry it out.

I don't use Squirrel ... but I do use freshly shot raccoon. I just keep the tails in a jar of kitty litter when I am not using them. Keeps them as dry as the Sahara Desert.

Take the tail and skin it out about a half inch or so. Grab the peeled skin with newspaper in your hand to help with your grip. Grab the tail bone with a pair of pliers and pull. The bone pulls right out of the tail. Take a knife and split the tail and then borax. No rot or bad smell. Tail keeps for years.