Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

The Super Schminnow. Is it a shrimp or a minnow?

The Schminnow was originally created by Norm Zeigler to fish snook on the small islands off of Florida. This fly resembles a large wooly bugger, but was originally tied with estaz. I myself have made some small edits to the fly and I call it the "super schminnow" its more flashy, has even more movement in the water, and has a weighted head for some jigging action.

One of the reasons this fly works so great is that it can resemble a shrimp, or a baitfish. So its great for multiple fishing situations.
Hook: Gamakatsu SS15 size 1/0
Thread: Danville 210 waxed in white
Tail: White select craft fur
Under Body: EZ Body over dubbing
Over Body: Ice dubbing (pearl)
Music: Sunny & Funnysong - Bensound.com
Dumbbell Eye Tips: https://youtu.be/1vAds9-bnhA

Cool! I actually picked up some ice dub to try in place of estaz on my flies. I fish those a lot during the summer beach run.

Cool! I actually picked up some ice dub to try in place of estaz on my flies. I fish those a lot during the summer beach run.

Sweet! Yeah I like estaz a lot... But the ice dub moves nicely in the water.

One of the best glass minnow flies is Casey Smart's glass minnow fly which has a body of heavily dubbed ice dub that is combed out: http://caseysmartt.com/2009/11/15/smartts-glass-minnow/

I just wish that video was a video and not a picture gallery. But yea, thats a great fly!

I actually tie one close to that, but I add a bit of red gill underneath with some pink or red krystal flash. I also use some flashabou for a lateral line. Instead of using a marker for the color, I use another color Ice dub for the back. I actually planned on doing that fly soon on video as well.