Fly Tying

Tenkara....

Don't want your flyline dragging you down in a situation where a longer leader would help?

Make your leader longer.

Need a rod longer than 9' for more reach?

Use a fly rod longer than 9'.

Those aren't arguments in favor of tenkara's differences from conventional fly rods in general, they're just ways in which your specific fly rod isn't doing what you want it to do.

If someone complains that their 6'6" 2wt glass rod isn't driving 4" streamers against a stiff breeze into a pie pan out 70 feet, that's not a sign that fly rods in general can't do this...it just means it's not the right fly rod for the task. Similar deal here.

Wait Ms Wulff is double haulin with lines shooting thru guides. No reel. Thought the line tied to the tip no guides?.... What's the point of no reel? Is the guy to the left keeping up with the line for her? What u do wrap the line around your _______. Stupid chit!

Don't want your flyline dragging you down in a situation where a longer leader would help?

Make your leader longer.

Those aren't arguments in favor of tenkara's differences from conventional fly rods in general, they're just ways in which your specific fly rod isn't doing what you want it to do.

If someone complains that their 6'6" 2wt glass rod isn't driving 4" streamers against a stiff breeze into a pie pan out 70 feet, that's not a sign that fly rods in general can't do this...it just means it's not the right fly rod for the task. Similar deal here.

I started this by giving you my honest answers. I am fairly experienced with both systems. I still use both. When I choose Tenkara, I believe that it's a better solution for those conditions. I am not saying that I can't make traditional work in those conditions, but not as well as Tenkara setups that have evolved to master these exact conditions. I have considered alternative traditional setups and don't believe they would work as well. I've pretty much tried or considered all the options that you have suggested.

This is getting tedious. I think I've already answered your question to a reasonable degree, but here are my responses to your new arguments.

Make your leader longer.

I've tried that. Doesn't cast light flies well. Western fly rods are designed to cast 20' of fly line which is much heavier than a leader.

1. doesn't solve the casting problem

2. If I have to buy another fly rod, why not just get a Tenkara rod which designed to do what I want. 10' and 11' nymphing rods (+fly line = reel) are great for casting weighted nymphs on a short line, but they are no good at casting unweighted flies at short distance. They are more expensive as well as not working as well for this purpose.

3. Actually what I want is a longer rod than my current 12'. As far as I know, there are no light weight 14' traditional rods.

see above.

That's silly. I'm not comparing a poorly selected fly rod to shoot down traditional. My 9' 4 wt and 5 wt are the common tools for this type of fishing. The best traditional match is an 11' 2 wt nymphing rod which is a newer style and fairly rare. It can throw heavily weighted nymphs with just the leader, but they don't cast light flies very well with just leader. Using even a 2 wt fly line, there's too much sag. I don't even use the heavier Tenkara lines when I'm trying to hold more than 10' off the water. I use a very lightest Tenkara line that I've found.

I want a 12' or longer rod designed to cast a line lighter than a 0 wt. There are dozens of Tenkara rods that meet this spec, but I know of no traditional flyrods.

If I'd have to buy another fly rod, line and reel, why wouldn't I consider Tenkara as an alternative?

The traditional fly setup is more expensive. My setup cost $150 with a lifetime guarantee, rod tube, high quality construction. At the time that I bought it, my Iwana was considered one of the best Tenkara rods available. There are now similar quality rods for $80.

Same old stuff.

Same old lack of a tenkara rod doing anything a fly rod can't.

Same old "if you like doing it, that's fine, just don't pretend it's in any way better than a comparable fly rod" response.

Thanks for playing!

Same old lack of a tenkara rod doing anything a fly rod can't.

I guess you'd say that you can drive staples with a hammer...

so no one can prove that you need a staple gun.

A well-stated and appealing perspective there, Mr. Bruce.

"and very light line is designed to hold the line off the water"

What is it about a Tenkara line that helps hold it 'off' the water?

The lines core consists of helium.😀

I know they are very protective over the idea. Asked them one time what the difference between Ten Kara and Cane Pole fishing......them was fighten words boy. LMAO

Like the difference between a Roll-Royce and a Smart car. They both get you where you want to go. Tenkara and my style of tiny stream fishing are the same- rod, a bit of line, leader and tippet. Line-leader-tippet is just a bit longer than the rod.

I have fished both styles extensively and both have advantages and disadvantages, so it depends on what your goal is at the moment. Tenkara is mostly fished with western style flies and not the the traditional "backwards" flies from Japan. The poles are lightweight and fit easily into a backpack for ultralight hikes. Unlike a traditional pole if you need it shorter to work in tight quarters you can collapse a section or two and go from 11' to 8' almost instantly. The style of fishing is very similar to what is called "Dapping" and I don't see anyone questioning that as a valid way to fish when conditions require it.

There is a gentleman who goes by Teton Tenkara on YouTube who has many videos of himself fishing Yellowstone NP, Colorado and Idaho for native cutthroats, Browns, Brookies and Rainbows. Watch a few if you are really curious about it and you will soon see this isn't Tom Sawyer with a cane pole type fishing. Bruce gets it.....Tenkara lets you concentrate on presentation rather than line management and can be a very fun and relaxing way to spend the day on the water.