Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
prairiedrifter

Flamed grass

LOL ... I like some "bling", so I like the tip wraps.

I don't, however, care for the invisible ones.

So, nice work with the bamboo and tip wraps.

Mike,

I like my bamboo work to be subtle, more " classical " in nature. Now, glass or graphite can be another story......

Looking great. I've got three bamboo rods, one in 4, the other two in 5 wt. Seven and a half foot. One by Bill Oyster who lives here in GA, one of the other by me, and it doesn't look at all like yours. Good job.

Flaming a rod supposedly drives all the moisture out of the blank to the end and makes it (maybe) better.

I likey,

I have 2 bamboo, one being a 6ft 4wt small stream rod made by Parramoure in Kenosha WS. The other is an 8 1/2ft, 5wt that I found at a local antique store for $35 and had Parramoure refinish it. Use them both but I use the 6ft rod the most. Because of the heft, the 8 1/2ft 5wt only gets used in windy conditions. Something about the extra heft helps punch through the wind.

How is the action? My 4wt is in line with today's actions. The 5wt is slooow. Make your backcast, set it down, go make a sandwich, when your done you are ready for the forward cast.

I based the taper off of a Leonard taper so it is on the slow side w/ soft tips. I made this rod for trico's on spring creeks. Small flies and light tippets.

Is the guide spacing based on the requirements for todays lines or will a silk line be better? I have always wanted a rod based on a Leonard taper.

If you would sell, How much?

Mike,

I like my bamboo work to be subtle, more " classical " in nature. Now, glass or graphite can be another story......

I understand. I go strictly by looks, since I don't use bamboo rods.

I've got an old one in a tube, looks usable, but I will never put it to use. It was my Dad's, but I don't think he ever used it much either. When I was young, he bought a fiberglass one, and never put the bamboo one back in use. I don't even know if this one is the one he "put aside" or one he got later in life.

The guide spacing is based on what I've found works the best. Many old Leonard rods cast fine w/ modern lines. I have a nice collection of them and admire them often.

This particular rod would sell for $950

I agree with Mike, I'm not a fan of clear wraps.... I like simple drab one color wraps. It is a beautiful rod though, no one can argue that!

I bought a bamboo rod from China on a speculation. A Mr. Zhu, IIRC on Ebay. A 7.5 at 5 wt. And it's a DANDY rod. Casts well, a good recovery, not the slowest rod out there and certainly not the fastest but it delivers. The wraps are solid and not transparent nor up to custom grade, but the rod was only $150 with two tips. No case. But for fishing and not collecting, it's hard to beat. What a deal. I'm fishing with it and so far, so good.