Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Favorite Fibers

Exactly, Mike.

Flats, I would still try Congo just because it is so much cheaper, which I will do myself, but my guess is that tying with one or the other is not so different.

If you give us details on your issues we may be able to help. At your age, I can't think of many things about which you can truly say "it is just too difficult for me". It probably is just a matter of practice.

Mike, the ep gets everywhere and there are way too many loose fibers that just get caught in the way. Once you get a final product, you normally stroke the fly and out comes countless and expensive loose fibers. At least for me , when tying a streamer, the bundles of ep tend to slip n slide on the shank. Tying crab bodies can also be tedious as x rapping ep is no fun and can take quite a bit of time.

This is all just me and I know that most of you disagree me and saying "is he crazy " which might be a little true but thanks to the good people of the forum I believe I have found a solution

Thank you all for your priceless input

For crabs, I would just use rug yarn.

As for the waste, a little is expected. A lot may be in the way you handle the material.

Slipping and sliding: I found that doubling fibers over on the thread to help anchoring them on the right spot worked well for me, with a couple of wraps right on the fibers bend, to anchor all the fibers, and the tiniest drop of superglue before moving to the next hank.

Flats, im a salt guy as you know. If your only getting a hand full of flies from a pack of ep you are using Waaaaaaaay too much material. Lol and that's why those x raps are a pain in the butt. If you can post a pic of one of the flies youve tied with it will be more helpful. But going to another hair isn't going to help if you do the same thing, it will just cost less.

Beauty salon supply stores have wig material that rivals ep etc. for pennies comparatively.

Flats when you tie in a small hank on the hook put a tiny bit of Dollar Store super glue on the threads before starting the next hank. It should eliminate some shedding. Keep hanks small. The biggest mistake new tiers to saltwater baitfish is trying to put too much on at a time. Go back and look at my Baitfish SBS in the salt section. It may help you to get a better feel for using synthetic fibers. Bait fish flies can be some of the hardest to learn considering all the bait types such as wide body pogies and longer round body mullet along with long skinny needlefish etc. etc. You are young so take your time, be patient and it will all come together.

FR

I will send you some Congo hair with your flies from the fly swap. You can decide if you like it. The key to using these fibers, and I'm no expert, is to use a very little amount. It builds quickly. At Christmas ftd has gift boxes that are very cheap and have a ton of stuff.

Hey Kudu, many thanks for that! I promise it will not go to waste and hopefully I can make a fly box worthy fly out of it. Thanks again for your awesome generosity!