Fly Tying

I am tying up hopper patterns for the upcoming year and have been looking at using a madame x for this purpose. One problem I am finding is that I cannot keep it afloat. I have put just about as much deer hair on it as I can and am using foam legs.

My question to the illustrious forum follows:

Should I be using an alternative to deer tail hair? Should I be using deer body hair?

And, is this pattern just used with floatant because it generally sinks?

You ned to use deer hair not tail.Tail doesn't float body hair does.Try spraying with a waterproofer after tying.Then use ginks or something similar when fishing.

Try using body hair not tail,body hair floats,bucktail doesn't.After tying spray with a waterproofer. Use a floatant like ginks or something similar when fishing.

The deer body hair should do the trick.

If not then use some 2 mm closed cell foam from Walmart to under wrap the body just don't bind it down and completely cover it with thread.

Irish

Go to: Doug Swisher Madam X. Doug has photo step by step sequence tying instructions and material list to use in the original Madam X. The Hair is Cow Elk, which is far superior in floating than Bull Elk (blonde) and "thicker" than normal whitetail or mule deer and I think is more durable. Cow Elk has basically the same colorations as whitetail deer. I hope this helps.

Mad Scientist

Fly Tyers Dungeon

user posted image