Fly Tying
Bimini15

China direct reels, anyone has one...?

They're not all junk. Making a blanket statement like that is asinine. You'd be quite surprised to know the percentage of supposedly "top shelf" reel brands that are sold in the US are manufactured in China and rebranded to the big names.

Same with tapered leaders and tippet material. I buy it direct for a fraction of what it costs in the local fly shops and much of it comes off the same machines as the primo stuff many of you swear by and pay 6x the cost for. Like buying anything, if you don't want to pay retail you have to do your research and weed through the junk. If you're convinced that you have to have a respected brand name on a product to get the nearly identical, or comparable, product you'd be wrong.

Chris,

I am curious about your reels. Are they CNC? The link on the post goes to a die cast model.

The die cast versions are heavier than I want. Mine are all the CNC aluminum. Much, much lighter. Almost too light at times, when fishing longer rods. Which is often a plus because I can upsize without making the butt of the rod too heavy. The only time the CNC versions are too light is on long, tip heavy rods where you need a lot of weight in the back to balance things out, then I typically use a bigger, oversized Redington on rods over 9.5 or 10".

Update.

I ended up getting a Chinese 5/6 reel via Chris_NH. No brand, no model, just a black reel in a box. It goes on a 6wt. rod that I had without a reel and it is loaded with a cheap SA 7wt. line from a while ago.

post-52874-0-59989200-1471111257_thumb.jpeg

It looks good, well finished and has some cheap parts, like the bearing, as expected for the price. The spool has a minimal wobble that most people would probably miss completely. As long as it does no warp and start rubbing, this is more reel than I need. I know I will never get to test the drag unless accidentally tangle a grass carp.

The only thing that bugs me is that it does not click when you turn the handle to retrieve line. The spool spins free. I am not used to that since every othe reel I have clicks and prevents free the spinning. Is this normal? I do not know, but it is not a problem so far. Now that the line is on it, I can't even tell if it spins when I am casting.

Will update if there are any significant findings.

The only thing that bugs me is that it does not click when you turn the handle to retrieve line. The spool spins free. I am not used to that since every othe reel I have clicks and prevents free the spinning. Is this normal? I do not know, but it is not a problem so far. Now that the line is on it, I can't even tell if it spins when I am casting.

That's my favorite aspect of these reels. Being able to take in all the slack line once a fish is on by just swatting at the spool once or twice is a big advantage to getting the fish on the reel really fast.

Fished for smallmouth bass tonight on a pretty good sized river a few miles from my house. Had a blast. Was fishing a zoo cougar and dropper on a short leader with a 250 grain sink tip 5wt. When a smallmouth nails that fly as it rises up toward the surface between strips and as you set the hook he comes 2 feet out of the water you're darned happy that you don't have a traditional reel that clicks as you take line in where you'd have to hold the line up against the cork handle while you frantically try to reel in all the line draped at your feet in the canoe. Getting fish on the reel fast is a nice advantage. :)

The spool spins free.

That's my favorite aspect of these reels. Being able to take in all the slack line once a fish is on by just swatting at the spool once or twice is a big advantage ...

I agree, and love the free spinning aspect of sprague clutch drag systems. But I never put a fish "on the reel". I do like to get the line up out of the way when I have a big fish on ... but just to keep it from tangling if it makes a short jump an run at the side of the boat.

All my other reels are from before the large arbor, super light machined reel craze.

This honestly felt wrong at first, like it was missing parts. We are such creatures of habit.

But I have used it a few times and I can tell you that, at worst, it makes no difference.

I can see what you mean about being fast to the reel. I have lost more than a fish, including the only tarpon I have ever jumped, while doing that number with the pinching of the line under your index finger while winding like a mad man.

Will let you know how it works next time I jump a tarpon...:)

More than a few times, while trying to wind line on the reel, I've looked up to see the line wrapped around the rod tip. As you're cranking on the reel handle, you're shaking the rod tip. Any slack and it whips the line around the tip. If that happens and a fish pulls the line tight, goodbye tip, and probably fish.

Couple things here. First off, I did not read EVERY post, so excuse me if I repeat something. Secondly, just my opinion...

China reels (and others)....

Just like anything else, there's good and bad. I own a few China reels, and like them. Someone in this thread said "China reels are junk"...okay, so throw out your TV, radio, Microwave, PC and other stuff. Seriously, that whole "overseas is crap" view does not work these days. I like to support USA made as much as the next guy, but there's times it is just not feasible.

I'm not gonna go into the whole details and such, I will just say....there's a LOT of stuff you guys think is USA that is made overseas and resold as USA, and sure there's some bad stuff. But there's a lot of good stuff too. Just try it and sort it out.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Like it or not, today's world is a global community. Unfortunately, people here and elsewhere keep trying to deny that ... some violently.

Get used to the idea. It's better than any achievable alternative.

cold,

do yourself a favor find someone who actually has a 3tand and try it out on a good fish instead of just looking at it at a show. We have them at the shop along with Hatch, Hardy and others. A few of the guys have gotten them for steelhead and salmon and raved about them. I actually have not used one as i have a favorite brand that I have never had a problem with and stick with it ( read as stubborn). They are very good reels for a good price and Ron the owner is top notch. We have actually sold a lot of them the last 3 years with very limited issues.

Steve

I own 2 3tand reels,the tf50 and the tf70,their drag is as smooth as my 2 hatch reels and my ross f1 and my galvan torque.They are made in china AND the owner Ron moved to china to oversee the production.