Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Help needed with feather ID and uses.

I did, that is why I looked it up. And I found no corroboration.

Like I said before, I suspect it maybe an enterprise raising them them in private land. To me that is not truly wild, but that is an opinion.

And I might be completely wrong on the whole thing anyways.

I still would like to know if you find anything.

Partially agreeing with Bimini ...

(the side the agrees) ... wild and feral are similar ... but they are not the same thing.

(the side that disagrees) On the other hand ... how many generations does it take for a feral population to be truly considered wild again?

Ok. This is now a different discussion, and I am bound to piss off a bunch of hunters on the forum... BUT...

I really do not mind hunting.

I do despise Safaris. I detest the excuse that commercial exploitation of a species through hunting is the only way to save the species and all the other bs. To me Safaris are not hunting but a kabuki theater ensembled around hunting. And many exploitations of deer, turkeys, etc..., to me, amount to domestic safaris.

So, to answer the question, as long as the owner of the land caters to the animals, brings food for them to feed on, grows patches of woods as shelter, and worst of all, repopulates periodically to account for animals taken through hunting, to me, the animals will not be wild. I feel the same way about fishing re-stocked areas where you need day permits or pay per pound, or any of the variations on the same commercial theme that amount to shooting fish in the barrel.

It may help you understand my position if you know that I grew up at a time and places where no third party benefited from your take beyond sharing some meat with the land owner. There was no game that was not wild. It was a simpler time. Sure, times have changed... but, on this, I don't have to.

You might be surprised. Turkeys are one of the smartest birds. I am fairly certain that any place in the world they have tried to raise them some have gotten out and gone wild. But that isn't indigenous.

Dr. Vette you are 100 % correct they are a very smart bird. Did you know that Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the turkey our national symbol instead of the bald eagle? Just a little trivia for everyone...LOL

Did you know that it wasn't really BF? Not Kidding here... A group of kids (i forgot the exacts) begged him and pushed him into untill he saw their side.

Ok, I have been reading through the thread and no one has come out and directly said it, hinted but not directly said it. If you have my misunderstanding.

If you find a feather on the ground leave it, unless you are certain where it came from. If you are absolutely positive of the species it is from then ask is it free of other critters that might infest the rest of my materials.

I have friends, relatives, and neighbors that will hand me something they picked up saying I know that you tie flies. I smile and thank them for the effort and toss it when I get home. If they ask later on I say I just can't find the right pattern to use it on. Or I say it worked great for some wing cases but what I have will last a while since I don't use that much for a wing case.

Yeah...

I think that If I had found a similar feather here in the US It would have been technically illegal for me to have it.

Yeah, I am still waiting a summons from Arizona on the hat clip the State Patrol confiscated... I had painted a raven skull i found, then added in some Golden Eagle , Red Tail Hawk, Owls of several types , Fledged with bald eagle feathers around a California Condor (his name was Conrad and one of the COOLEST birds i ever met) and tied in with a lot i just can't remember. But that was 1984 when i was working for the Zoo and volunteering at the Raptor center...Yeah i knew better but just couldn't resist.

Holy...! Did you have a pic of that...?

Unfortunately no. The Bald Eagle Feathers were Fluff/dawn so no-one would figure those out. I wrapped the stems of the large feathers in leather as Kiowa do, i painted the skull in Arapaho style. It was COOL. I have been trying to find a skull to make something like it out of Argus and Pea-Cock Pheasant. I thought maybe this feather would lead to a Kori sub, but that is a no go since it is obviously a raptor.