Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Help needed with feather ID and uses.

I was hiking this mid July and found this feather on the trail.

I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what it is and possible uses for it.

Thanks.

post-52874-0-39834700-1470011797_thumb.jpeg

It does, but it would help if you'd give us an idea of its size. It could be from a songbird wing for all we can tell.

Actually, without having a matched pair from each side it really is not a great find. The best chance of getting use from a single feather like is biots from the short side if they are stiff enough.

Sorry, it really was a bit of a trick question without any extra info.

It is 10 inches long. Can't be a turkey because there are no turkeys where I found it. I found it hiking in Spain.

Based on the wildlife I observed, I am thinking it may be some kind of bird of prey, but I don't know enough to tell.

Vic,

I thought about that but I could not find one.

Ok, well now I know it was found in Spain, I retract my Turkey suggestion! LOL It does look like a turkey feather though, especially if it is around 10 inches. It looks just like one of the feathers we got off a turkey we harvested last year. I am not familiar with the species of birds over there.

i have no idea what bird lost that feather but there are more uses than just biots (i dont think theres any biots on that feather)

feather fibers on the long side can be used for tails, wrapped for bodies, wing cases, legs, antennae and whatever else you can imagine.

feather fibers on the short side can be used for tails, legs, antennae

Remember that before we started using matched pairs of feathers for wings, many flies were (and still are,) tied with folded sections of just one feather.

I think you are right on your guess of bird of prey. The lobed end and the general shape remind me of hawk secondaries, but i have never seen this exactly before.

Looks a lot like a hawk secondary. Don't ask me how I know...... No I'm only kidding didn't harm any hawks but have been blessed to rehabilitate one. I'd say it's certainly a hawk feather. Don't know what species reside in Spain though.

Barn Owl or other owl by looking at the leading edges of the feather, it isn't sharp. Owls have tattered or fringed edges

My first thought was Owl as well. What one I have no idea but there are Owls in Maine where we stay and we do run into feathers like that. Course up there we see turkey's as well. But the turkey's up there are quite dark in color. Anyway, my first thought was Owl.

LOL ... Okay, I'll be the first one to notice the elephant in the room.

If it IS a feather from a bird of prey ... the feather police now have your URL, your screen name, a picture of the feather and a GPS fix on every electronic device you own.

Expect the kicking down of your door in the middle of the night ... soon.