Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Help needed with feather ID and uses.

LOL ... Okay, I'll be the first one to notice the elephant in the room.

If it IS a feather from a bird of prey ... the feather police now have your URL, your screen name, a picture of the feather and a GPS fix on every electronic device you own.

Expect the kicking down of your door in the middle of the night ... soon.

Oh I know Mike but I opted to just answer the question this time, in itself perhaps unusual .

If it were an owl the trailing biots would look fuzzy/furry at the end to keep them silent it the air. Or is my eye-sight so bad i am not seeing it?

You could try to match biots from one side to the other(obviously reduced to the smaller size) to make wings, knot the biots for legs,straight for antennae, tails and???

You could shellac the entire feather and cut hard wing forms for beetles and hoppers. I don't know...What do you want to do with it? I would probably make a hat clip out of it.

That coloration would make a great sub for Kori Bustard. Too bad you don't have it paired...

I'm going with Common Buzzard.

Use the barred section to wind bodies of nymphs and dry flies.

Or do like I do, stick it in the coffee cup on my desk with all the other oddball feathers that I have found on the ground.

So, I took to Google for further review of your suggestions, and I am pretty sure FIN-ITE has it right.

post-52874-0-45673000-1470089584_thumb.jpg

The Common Buzzard (buteo buteo) is found in Europe and Asia and the pictures of feathers I found match exactly what I have.

post-52874-0-31527100-1470089606_thumb.jpg

I also read somewhere that it should be ok by the US Feather Police as it is a non native, non endangered species, and did not bring scavengers (wink, wink, you know who you are) onboard.

AH so it wasn't a hawk but still a raptor. Never heard a raptor called a buzzard that's just confusing haha

I am sorry but the picture of the whole bird looks like a hawk to me. Is this a language barrier thing or what?

When some-one says buzzard i think of this;post-14864-0-59613400-1470110141_thumb.jpg

I don't understand why that is called a buzzard??? PLEASE explain.

In Europe the genus Buteo raptor is known as a buzzard. In North America we call a Buteo a hawk, common example that most folks are familiar with is the Red-tailed Hawk. You can look up the definition of a Buteo.

At some point in time the genus Cathartes, (vultures) name was bastardized and were called buzzards here in the New World (North America).

So in Europe, the (Old World) they call a Buteo a buzzard, and here in the New World (North America) we refer to them as hawks.

So a buzzard is a hawk, not a vulture.

In Spain the Common Buzzard is actually called an eagle, a "mouse hunting eagle" , or águila ratonera

If you thought that tyer vs tier was confusing, don't even start going across languages... :)

This bird is scientifically named Buteo buteo everywhere, also called common buzzard in Europe, if you are speaking Brittish English. It is confusing because buzzard, in American English, is another word for vulture. In British English it is another word for hawk. So, In the US this bird is called a hawk.

Now, it really gets weird when you are speaking Spanish to name the bird, because we don't use the Spanish words for vulture (buitre) or hawk (halcón), but the word águila, which commonly translates into all kinds of English as eagle.

This going back and forth between languages reminds me of a time growing up in Spain, watching Western movies in Spanish.

A frontier man would run into a Native American Indian and ask "Do you speak English?". The Indian normally answered "Yes". And the two of them would carry on... STILL in Spanish. WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THAT QUESTION!!!??? :D

I am sure there are some, but I doubt they are truly wild turkeys. Maybe a case of private owners raising them in a farm/hunting ground.

Now I am going to have to look it up...! Thanks, Buddy...! :D

Domesticated birds that have escaped years and years back and become wild there. Much like "wild" hogs here. Niether are native but both are wild.

Can't come up with anything about wild turkeys in Spain other than a reference in a document from the Ministry of the Environment to birds raised in captivity in the Canary Islands. Ironic. They should be raising canaries.

Let me know if you find anything.

Time to reach for the other Wild Turkey.