Fly Tying
Bimini15

About to start using dubbing...

Never used dubbing before. Closest thing has been chenille, estaz and such. But I am seeing so many great flies in the forum that I decided to get a FTD box and start using some. I stopped short of the full nymphing box and got a fly tyers one, which still has quite a bit of dubbing.

Anyway, my first question is about dubbing applied directly to the thread. Does it stick to the thread just by rolling it on with your fingers or do you have to use some kind of product to help the process?

Most of the time, it will wrap around the thread as you roll it with your fingers. You CAN'T pinch too tightly as you roll.

To make a more durable fly, I run the fingernail polish brush down the thread before putting the dubbing on.

Here's a good place to start. Dubbing is a world onto itself. One suggestion. Get some superfine dubbing to start. Easiest to use out there. Dubbing wax is another story.

Hi Bimmini

I found the tutorial below to help me the most when I started dubbing.

The biggest lessons I have learnt is to make sure you tease the dubbing (especially fine and natural dubbingss), not to over not to over dub the thread and to take my time. Always dub lightly and in small sections. It wraps better and you can manage the thread easier. Plus you normally taper the body so you want to start sparse at the rear of the fly and increase wraps to build the upper abdomen.. I don't often use dubbing wax but will if I am struggling to get the dubbing to attach.

https://thelimpcobra.com/2013/01/08/fly-tying-a-complete-dubbing-techniques-tutorial/

Cheers

VB

Sorry Bimini....\

Now I will answer your question

If you use dubbing sparsely it will lightly attach to the thread. Once in position press the dubbing hard between thumb and forefinger (or middle finger), stop thread from spinning, apply pressure and wind dubbing around thread. Like Mike said, superfine dubbing will dubb easily. I dub in an anti-clockwise direction and before I dub I spin the bobbin in a clockwise direction to tighten it

Cheers

Holy canoli...! You want me to start looking at "limp cobras" and use my middle finger.

This is going to be nastier than I thought... :D

Agree Flats....

BTW was reading your signature in regards to wind knots.

When experiencing heaps of wind knots years ago (usually when trying to cast distance!), the old bloke that taught me to fly fish said "Wind Knots should really be called casting knots.....So keep practicing and don't blame the wind" He was correct....

Funny thing is I heard Tom Rosenbauer say the same thing on his Podcast the other day!!!

Cheers

VB

Practice, practice, practice, :)

And if you are like me fish with a short fast action 3wt rod in small streams :)

Seriously, what has helped me is consciously pausing a little longer during the front and back cast to fully open the loop. As i get tired and don't think about my cast i start getting wind knots.

I might be wrong but I do know I don't rush into the water any more and don't rush to cast nor do Itry to cast to long a distance if there is a way of getting closer.

Cheers