Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
spulve

Deer hair, Elk hair, same thing?

Been tying tying for almost a year but really just now started dabbling with deer hair and noticed that there is elk hair that looks exactly like it, so my question is, whats the difference between the two? (other than the fact that ones from a deer and the other is from an elk)

In my experience elk is slightly coarser than deer, generally speaking. It's also a little more brittle. Using a few strands of elk as tailing fibers they are more prone to breakage than deer or even moose hair for instance ( moose is very coarse but also pretty strong). But either is good for Elk Hair Caddis. I think you will find that alot of people have subbed out the elk and used deer instead in this pattern. I do find more options in color variation of the natural in deer hair, as well as dyed and also different textures. I like elk for Stimulators and don't personally use it for much of anything else, though I have used deer for those as well. One place in EHC where elk is good is when the natural caddis are light toned, elk hair patches tend to run on the light side of tan..

Not the same. Even hair from the same species have different characteristics depending on when the deer/elk was harvested and where the hair was on the hide. Hair grows longer as winter approaches and so animals which were harvested earlier in the hunting season have shorter hair with shorter tips. Read this:

http://midcurrent.com/flies/fly-tying-hair-selection/

Awesome article SilverCreek ! And I clearly have not experienced the best of either elk or moose hair. The bit on moose Hock hair was interesting ( have two batches of body hair, one of which I like better than the other mostly because it's lighter toned).

Saw a video the other day where the tyer used the elk fuzz/under hair for dubbing...he said it retained air bubbles and released them as the fly swam. he was tying wet flys with it.