Fly Tying
flytyerinpa

Head Cement

I had the same problem with Wapsi head cement, I think it was not mixed well or something. It was enough of an experience to never buy it again. I started using Loons and it seems to be a lot better.

If you check eBay you will see Veniard's head cement coming up from time to time from a guy in Canada. It's been around for years and is wonderful. Just add a couple of bb sized shot to each bottle to act as agitation balls when you shake it up. It comes in various colors, I mostly use black and if I want a really glossy finish I overcoat with some clear. He sends it via regular post and all mine has turned up intact.

Here are a few pics of how some of my fly heads turn white, why I don't have the least idea, I checked to make sure I was not using waxed thread, checked to make sure my head cement was not thick, the brand of head cement is Rumph's

When I get a chance I'll post some of my other flies tied the same time with same material and thread and they did not turn white.

post-54462-0-91879000-1480632687_thumb.jpg

post-54462-0-95856300-1480632706_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pics of how some of my fly heads turn white, why I don't have the least idea,

why? because there is a whole sh*tload of chemistry going on in there. So many variables that it is next to impossible to say for sure. It probably won't make a single bit of difference.

I do understand, you want it to be the way you want it, and when some variable causes it to be not what you want, it is annoying. I wouldn't worry too much about it on the scale of what you pictured though.

On a fly like a classic bucktail with a relatively large thread head it could potentially cause an issue though.