Fly Tying
Brodrash

West Coast Salt water

Whatfly, Thanks for the info. I actually found a little video series put out by capt Vaughn Podmore. I think it really cool of him as a guide to show places where he fishes around Newport beach to newbies. If I had the cash I would hire a guide in a heartbeat his prices seem very reasonable maybe I will have to save up some cash for trip.

Thanks for the tips everyone keep them coming.

Also if I was to fish the bays and beaches in southern California mostly targeting Calico bass, sand bass, Spotted bass, and halibut what rod wt would be the best. The guide whatfly mentioned recommends a 5-8 so I would imagine an 8wt is ideal right?

I was out there a couple of years ago. Fished with a 5 weight. Never caught anything more than a pound or so. Worked out well.

If you're fishing from shore ... it's very different than Florida, or other East Coast States. There's no gentle sand slopes. You cast from rocks, into and over rocks. You're usually casting into a wind (which might be a good reason for a heavier weight rod). You're sight fishing a lot, too. Most of the places I tried to fish, you're looking into crystal clear water.

Brightly colored fish, so brightly colored flies are recommended.

Like I said, it was a couple of years, and I didn't catch much, so I am no expert.

Good Luck !!!

Mike don't tell me that for 2 reasons.

1. I already have a 5 wt. Ive got to convince the wife I need another rod somehow LOL.

2. I've been trying to talk myself out of just using my current 5 wt, which is by no means corrosion resistant, and rinsing it off later! If I do use it and it rots im blaming you!

Well, if you want my HONEST opinion ...

I think you should have a Spey Rod (with all appropriate gear) for casting long distances into the wind. This is a MUST for fishing the rocky shorelines of California.

I also think you should have an 8 weight, or even a 12 weight (Maybe both) in case the Great White Sharks are running the shoreline. Of course, you'll also need size 30/0 hooks and a ton of deer hair to tie Harbor Seal Flies to attract those sharks.

It wouldn't hurt if you had a 2 weight rod, for going after those little tidal pool fish.

I've got enough weight on my shoulders without being saddled with your lack of cleanliness or your financial officer's lack of empathy towards your future well being !!!

tongue.png

Thanks for the HONEST opinion!biggrin.png

I know your not a salt guy, So when you fished there did you have a sealed drag or did you just wash it off real good after?

One thing or should I say several things I like about 8wts...strong enough to handle a fish to 20lbs but still light enough to enjoy casting and catching smaller fish on, plus being able to fish tiny flies with smaller leader or flies up to 1/0-2/0 and definitely able to punch the wind which is always the case when I go on vacation.

Brodrash, I was using my regular travel rig ... a BPS White River Classic and BPS fly reel.

I am pretty sure I cleaned them when I was done, that week.

Since you already have the 5 wt, the sierra mountain streams and river fishing can be awesome. That's where I'd be headed if going out there, frig the salt, you get up past Donner Pass and over along the Truckee (and points north and or east) River, you could get into some big rainbows and cut throats. Lot's of streams with smaller fish too. Into Nevada too, you could run into 8lb browns over that way. Probably take more than one trip to learn your way around though, either with what I'm saying or the salt. But I think you're gonna want a boat if you go for the salt.

Dave, Yeah I bet the fishing is great there, but isn't there cannibals inhabiting Donner Pass?tongue.png

The reason im asking about salt is because my wife has never been to the ocean so I figured we would make a trip and show her the beach, and if I got some fishing in it would be a nice bonus. I fish for trout often so catching a new variety would be an even better bonus.

I'll do some research and look for the places you've mentioned and try to hit a few of them on the way out or way back. 8lb browns sound like a pretty fun challenge.

Thanks for the info!

I would get yourself a 7 or 8 wt nice to have anyways, when will you be coming out here. You should look into fishing at pyramid lake in NV, it's near reno. Really big trout just swimming all around you while your wading you will probably want something bigger than a 5 wt for it. If you will be coming through Sacramento area let me know I may be getting a boat soon and if I do would be willing to take you put on the delta to try for striper.

Vicente, I will probably coming out next summer after schools out. So i'll look into pyramid lake

Also, if I am ever in the Sacramento area I will definitely let you know that sounds like a blast!!! Super generous of you to offer.

Thanks,

Brody

Pyramid lake is best in the winter, I probably wouldn't bother with summertime but you can awkward look into it. Striper ate mostly a fall/ winter thing but there is great largemouth fishing down tugged and the shad run in the summertime.

Yeah winter is a bit more busier time for me but I still have time every once in a while we will see what the future brings!

I had a 4 day weekend last week and piddled it away im regretting it now big time! lol