Fly Tying
Brodrash

Diy Eagle Claw Switch rod

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I knew that switch rods have different tapers when I originally posted, I should not have called it a switch rod. Shame on me mad.gifbiggrin.png I don't plan on doing this project soon, just thought it was off the wall weird, which has it's appeal to me as well as others. Kind of the "rat rod" look you know?

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I knew that switch rods have different tapers when I originally posted, I should not have called it a switch rod. Shame on me :angry::D I don't plan on doing this project soon, just thought it was off the wall weird, which has it's appeal to me as well as others. Kind of the "rat rod" look you know?

The article's author called it a switch rod, which probably means something different to different folks. No shaming needed. I liked the article and the yellow rod, while it lasted.

FRN, Yeah I've had the yellow rod for a few months now I definitely would recommend it for a canal rod or a truck/trunk rod you always have on hand! Mine is a 6' 6" 3 wt paired with a Cabela's cork drag reel I got on clearance. Its great for fishing small stocked ponds. It really shines when I find myself in tight overgrown mountain streams catching cutts.

When I fish the more urban ponds around here I always have people running up to me asking if it's bamboo lol. In my dreams!

Correction: Article is NOT about how make a switch rod...it is about adding a second hand grip to an existing fly rod. There should be a number of easier ways to do it, but why one would want to, especially with a short fiberglass rod, is frankly a mystery.

Yep. As a full time rod builder I agree 100% whatfly. I am not against people doing things themselves on rods, that's no problem. But a switch rod blank has a specific taper. LOTS more power in the bottom third of the blank than a normal single handed blank, so you would not get any benefits casting a blank like in the article with two hands.

To me, one of the biggest benefits of a two handed rod is NOT that it cast further than a single handed rod, but that it's easier on the shoulder. About the same amount of energy is put into the cast, but the load is shared by both arms. It's much less tiring. I see no problem in converting a single hand rod to a switch rod as long as appropriate lines and force are used. I would not, for example, recommend a double-handed overhead cast with such a rod, especially if maximum distance was trying to be achieved.

In this case it's a 5wt, 8' rod being made into an 8'6' rod. If casting an 8' one hand 5wt hurts your shoulder then you need to get to the gym or see an orthopedic doctor.

Correction: Article is NOT about how make a switch rod...it is about adding a second hand grip to an existing fly rod. There should be a number of easier ways to do it, but why one would want to, especially with a short fiberglass rod, is frankly a mystery.

Yep. As a full time rod builder I agree 100% whatfly. I am not against people doing things themselves on rods, that's no problem. But a switch rod blank has a specific taper. LOTS more power in the bottom third of the blank than a normal single handed blank, so you would not get any benefits casting a blank like in the article with two hands.

To me, one of the biggest benefits of a two handed rod is NOT that it cast further than a single handed rod, but that it's easier on the shoulder. About the same amount of energy is put into the cast, but the load is shared by both arms. It's much less tiring. I see no problem in converting a single hand rod to a switch rod as long as appropriate lines and force are used. I would not, for example, recommend a double-handed overhead cast with such a rod, especially if maximum distance was trying to be achieved.

I understand what you are saying heavynets, but there's still more force applied to the rod by using two hands than it was designed for, even if you are "babying it" a lot. Not saying it won't work 'somewhat" if all you're trying to do is ease some shoulder pain/wear, but it's best to not suggest people cast a single hander with two hands because it just comes down to the fact that the blank taper is just simply not designed to withstand that. Because you know how guys are, they may start out being gentle with it, but won't be long till they are trying to reach out further and further with casts and then they are gonna have some issues.

It will only have more force applied if the rod is accelerated faster and/or the apparent mass of the line is greater than when operated with one hand. That's just the physics of it. Spey casts will not move the rod any faster than a single hand cast. The line weight doesn't change either, weight forward line should be use for both casting styles. Remember, weight forward line is lighter than standard switch line and thinner. Being thinner will reduce air drag and the water's "stick" that loads the rod compared to a standard switch rod line. The rod will also not see the stress induced by hauling as when used as a single hand rod. Basically the rod will see the same stress that a single hand rod sees doing a roll cast. Maybe even less due to not hauling the line.

The best way to build the rod would be to use a seat that accommodates a removable rear grip. That way the seat can be kept at the end of the blank and the foregrip would not be "choking up" on the blank where it is thinner.

I think you are missing my point, or perhaps I'm just not expressing myself properly, that wouldn't be the first time lol

Using the same amount of power / acceleration in the cast with two hands as you do with one, then correct no more force on the lower section of the blank will be put into it. But my point it that you can get a much greater acceleration in the cast with two hands than you can with one (due to the push / pull motion of a two handed cast) so soon as most guys start that two handed motion then they try to reach out further and the acceleration of the cast increases and more force goes into the blank, and then I end up with a customer wondering why the butt section of his rod broke lol.

Been using Cabelas TLR Switch Rods. Have two in the 6WT and one in the 8WT. Waited for Cabelas to hold its clearance sales... purchased two of them for 59.95+ Tax with free in-store pick up (Cabelas is less than 5 miles from me), and then bought one from their bargain gave for $65.

So far, been liking them... especially the 6WTs coupled with the RIO Switch Chucker line in the 5WT. Can cast it one or two-handed with ease, and makes a difference when dealing with no room for a back cast.

Did some casting practice at a local High School's catch and release pond today... even had little Bass and Bluegill join in the session! Today's Video.

PS: Here is a recent video where the switch rod made a difference in getting the line to where the fish were despite no room behind me. Video Post.

I just wanna know back when I was in school why MY High School didn't have a catch & release pond. WTH???

Same here. No C&R pond where I went to school. So far, in the area I live, have seen two high schools. This one has some nice fish; other one I have not fished yet.

Here is a video of fish that are bigger than the ones caught yesterday.

Even the pros are doing it.

Not really. I watched that whole video. Saw the rod they modified, then watched every cast they made, and never once saw them use both hands to cast.

They are single hand roll casting. Once in a while, I saw a more involved cast (D-loop, Snap-T, whatever), but they were all single handed casts.

The butt section wasn't required for any of them.

Yes really. On such a small stream an underhand cast was not required, however, it was used at points 1:22, 1:38, 2:10, 5:10 and referred to verbally at point 3:50 as having been successfully used.