Fly Tying
mcfly

Eminent domain

"Eminent domain was a very bitter pill to swallow for everybody, including us," said Don Denny, a Wyandotte County spokesman. "But it was a necessity to get this project moving forward that has transformed the community."

County officials say the speedway and "Village West" -- the adjoining 400-acre development that includes Cabela's and Nebraska Furniture Mart -- have reinvigorated the local economy, created thousands of new jobs and poured millions of new tax dollars into local coffers.
The Kansas Supreme Court ruled that counties can use eminent domain to take land for economic development. Tolbert said landowners should be worried.
Wheeling, WV -- For more than two years there's been a push to develop a downtown Victorian Outlet. The city embarked on a plan to use eminent domain to get the buildings they needed to create this project. Now the entire project is moving out of downtown to the Fort Henry Industrial Park. Right next to the growing Cabela's Project. The announcement came after a week of the West Virginia Legislature meeting in special sessions, to talk about the future of the proposed outlet mall. Officials believe the new plan will bring more jobs to the area. With Cabela's attracting more people to the Ohio Valley, and bringing more than 1,200 jobs, the new outlet plan could bring up to a 1,000 additional jobs. Officials say the plan has been discussed with Cabela's, who thinks it will be beneficial to the community.

http://www.wtov9.com/news/2276304/detail.html

Land rights are a touchy issue but I never want the goverment to step in and remove them from anyone regardless of if they let me use their property or not.

I certainly won't buy from a company that thinks its alright to take your property and your tax money(Cabelas has a tax relief plan for 10 years in WV, they keep the tax they charge).

This very question is being argued before the US Supreme Court this term. The whole question of what is a legitimate use of eminent domain will be resolved soon, unless the court wimps out.

The ability of the government to take your property from you. Mostly used for the acquisition of right-of-way for roadway construction.

You work, you slave, you save, you build/buy, then 10 years down the line find out that you don't own diddly.

I'm sure the property will fetch market price. Eminent domain is usually used against the property owner that holds out while others sold.

The city of Lexington tried the same shit on a buddy of mine's property. First they upped the assessed value to 2.2 mil. That didn't work so they tried to condemn it. It has all the coded up-dates. Since the city wants the property for a beach, they played the eminent domain card. He said fine, at 4.4 mil...lol

On another note, another friend of mine owns some rentals near a recent development near Detroit's Riverfront. He was approached and wanted top dollar. They built it right up to his property line. laugh.gif He might be involved in the 2nd Phase.

Roadways are one thing but for the goverment to take your land and give it to another person who has worked out a deal with them, that isn't what I see America being about.

I seriously doubt that I will stop buying from Cabela's because of this one issue.

Truth be told, if you dig deep enough on any of these large companies you can find dirt.

Yup, I agree. First, sucks that this happened. Second, that I won't stop shopping there either. DblHaul had it right, almost any company out there has dirt. Some ALOT worse then this. Yet people still frequent them.

I've shopped at Cabelas a lot in the past and until today when I heard it on the radio and then looked it up myself never knew they were taking advantage of Eminet domain. They can't claim it but they sure don't have a problem with it. What it really comes down to is your local goverment officials making deals with your property and tax money. Yeah you think to yourself there is nothing I can do about it but the longer they get away with it the less likly it is to change.

I'm no activist but it scares the hell out of me when the goverment starts taking your property for "economic growth". All I ask is that you keep an eye on those shifty goverment officials.

Just for clairity of the above quotes. In Kansas they failed to aquire the property and built elsewhere then passed a law so they can use Eminent Domain to take property for Economic Growth in the future.

In WV they took a farmers property because he would not sell. The Cabelas built a store on it to generate Economic Growth.

You can claim you have no interest in politics but unfortunatly politics touches every part of your life. wink.gif