Fly Tying
eastern fly

Fishing Glasses Question

As stated, I've never seen green lenses ... but I'd think they'd fall into the grey/blue range and those were my least favorite colors.

trust the professionals opinion about green lenses, or the guy that's never worn green lenses opinion on green lenses. That's op's choice I guess. I've never had a problem with my grey lenses im using now. They're a bit lighter than the amber models I had prior. I find I can wear them longer into the evening, with little to no loss of performance during the day. I've owned the wally world strike kings. They give me a headache in about an hour.

Different colors for different waters.

Amber is good allaround, but works particularly well in our warmwater and inshore flats with that tanin tint in Florida. That's why Mike feels strongly about it.

Get out to open water, green, turquoise flats and blue water, and that is a different story. Guys who I know go out wear mirror lenses in blue or green.

Not sure about freshwater around the country, beyond the all around amber or similar.

My lenses are brown not very dark, I hear blue mirrors are the best but the finish scratches to easily for me since I also use them for work on a regular basis

I wear prescription glasses - and that prescription seems to change every 2 years. Got tired of spending $700.00 on sunglasses every 2 years also so now I just wear green polarized fitovers. Look goofy, but cheap, and work really well for my eyes.

Rule of thumb: get mirror lenses if you own a boat over 18ft. If you can afford that, you can afford frequent scratched lense replacements. Joking, of course.

I have both mirror and non-mirror lens and can't tell a difference except that I hate talking to someone wearing mirrored lenses.

I've been wearing the progressive prescription glasses for years. Finally settle on the Cocoons a few years ago. I actually have three pair yellow, amber and gray that I use depending on conditions. They fit nicely over my prescription glasses. Amber is the best all around for me. One thing I have done is blacken the lens colored sections on the side. I found this cuts out any side glare and improves the performance of the glasses.

I wear prescription too.

Cocoons did not work well for me because, in this heat and humidity, under a hat, they completely fogged up, specially when wearing one of those real fisherman things.

Better during winter, but I still did not like them. They always felt clunky and messed with my charming good looks :)

I ended up with Costco prescription sunglasses.

MRFC runs an annual clearance on glasses. You can get them up to 50% off. That's where I got my Smiths.

Sierra trading post always has great prices on them as well.

The company Arc-Iris makes some AWESOME looking glasses. They have a steep price and I don't know how well the lenses perform, but if I had the money I would buy a pair for aesthetics alone! lol

I am in the "buy the best you can and take excellent care of them" camp. I only have one physical attribute I've ever been able to brag about, and that used to be my eyes... I've been blessed with much better than average vision.

Starting a couple years ago I had to go to the eye doc because I couldn't work up close on actual work or flies or anything anymore, as in tip-of-my-nose close. From a few feet to infinity I still test 20/10.

The doc said "congratulations, you beat the curve on reading glasses by several years."

So anyways, to me, high quality lenses have always been well worth it. I can absolutely tell the difference between really great glasses, ok glasses, and cheap glasses.

I have a set of Oakleys with gold-mirror brown tint lenses which are as good as any glasses I've ever worn, and they are 7 years old now, still going strong. They were $190 when I bought them, that's $27 a year which is well worth it and less than the cost of 2 pair of WM specials per year.

There are many many factors to take into consideration but the degree of and DIRECTION OF POLARIZATION are two critical ones- most cheap glasses can have different directions of polarization in each lens (left and right).

Aside from using poor quality polarizing film in between, or even worse on the surface of, soft acetate lenses, different direction of polarization in the lenses causes severe eye strain and focusing issues-

consider the current crop of "3D" movies where you watch wearing the silly looking clear glasses- they have good polarization but offset 90 degrees in each lens- that's how they get the artificial near/far illusions to happen.

Think about it, while cheap glasses hopefully won't be that far offset, even a few degrees off-axis causes your brain to work overtime working out the depth perception issues.

It really isn't valid to say this color or that color lens is good or bad unless you are comparing very good quality lenses- there are too many other variables.

I have really good eyesight as well and never wore sunglasses because of the negative impact they had on my vision until I managed to get a pair of ray bans for free that someone left in the lighter confiscation bag at the air port, and I found out there is a big difference between 20$ glasses and 80$dollar ones.

... causes your brain to work overtime working out the depth perception issues.

That's a pretty good reason to rethink my stance. If my cheap glasses are causing my brain to work overtime ...

Well, Wife is convinced she can see through my ears because of the lack of mass between, so overtime is definitely a bad thing !!!

... get a pair of ray bans for free that someone left in the lighter confiscation bag at the air port ...

And for that price ... I might try a pair if I ever get that price !!!

mikechell I remember going to the eye doctor one day and he asking me about my sun glasses. Some that I got from WM. He shown me how bad the tint was in them so I have no problem paying for a "good" pair finally.

Kevin