Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

LOCA uv glue, anyone?

Looking for UV tying glues at amazon I run into this LOCA glue used to fix touch screens in electronics. Being the crafty bunch that we are, has anyone tried it? Is it the same? It goes for around $12 for a 10ml. syringe.

Not much cheaper than the fly tying specific stuff. I think my 10ml loon was 13 at bp, one of the local shops here has the bug bond light on the 50%off bin 20ml for 13 or 14 bucks if you want I could grab one for you and mail it.

I am more curious about the product than about the price, for now, although it can be much cheaper than I first mentioned.

I currently use Solarez, which is reasonably priced.

Wondering about the viscosity of this one compared to the ones in fly fishing specific packaging.

Ah. Im guessing they are probably all pretty close. I do know that deer creek I believe is the same as what's use in nail salons. When you open the bottle thats exactly what it smells like!. Dentists also use a uv resin.

Yup, and lots of it. Can't even remember seeing a low viscosity clear flowable product though in the dental industry. Funny, I first bought some 10 years plus ago. Said exactly the same thing - clear dental resin. When I did some research seems it was developed and marketed by a dentist and his lawyer.

Yup, and lots of it. Can't even remember seeing a low viscosity clear flowable product though in the dental industry. Funny, I first bought some 10 years plus ago. Said exactly the same thing - clear dental resin. When I did some research seems it was developed and marketed by a dentist and his lawyer.

I think it comes in shades of white for the dental industry. It is used to fill cavities.

I stand corrected, I found a clear flowable resin available, but at $90.29 / gram? Must be the flouride!

I stand corrected, I found a clear flowable resin available, but at $90.29 / gram? Must be the flouride!

What? Can't be... More expensive than stuff for fly fishing...? :)

So, I thought it came in whitish colors. Does it not? I was talking about this to my dentist a long time ago. Technically, I asked the question and he carried the rest of the conversation, while my mouth was open. I am pretty sure that is what he said, the anesthetic was not too heavy.

I actually tried this exact product (LOCA) about 2 years ago when the UV stuff started to become popular. One of the reasons I ordered it was that there was a deal from amazon where you got the 10ml syringe and a UV curing light for like $15. Seemed like a good deal, and as you mentioned, it was advertised to do basically the same thing we as fly tyers are looking for, but on touch screens for tablets and/or electronic devices.

I would NOT recommend purchasing this stuff. Besides the light being a POS, the glue itself when cured was still very tacky, and there was a slippery residue that basically made a mess of the flies. Once I got a legit UV curing light I tried it again and found the same results. Must work better for the electronic device screens, but for fly tying I would say this product is a no go.

No. But I wouldn't see the point in that, IMHO. As previously mentioned, you aren't saving that much money to begin with, so having to take the extra step to do that for every fly, along with adding bulk to the fly seems a waste to me. Plus, it was so "greasy" after trying to cure it, if you touch it at all, or any part of your fly does, it just gets everywhere. I don't think the SHHAN would even stick to the stuff it's so greasy, or if it did, it would likely slip off when fishing. I will also say trying to get the correct amount out of that syringe to the area on the fly you want it is a PITA, and the stuff is greasy even before you try and cure it so it gets everywhere.

Just a suggestion, Silver Creek Resin is priced very well. It dries both crystal clear, and tack free. He also has curing lights that work just as good as the $60 dollar ones from Loon, CCG, etc. Check this out here from another forum: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/tack-free-fast-cure-crystal-uv-cure-resin.97151/page-8

For ~$40, you get a very nice UV flashlight, and 2 bottles of his resin.