Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Saltydog

2 FEATHERED FLY !

You know what? I can't get over how decent that looks. That thing I think will work. Nicely done brother.

There is an old saying that comes to mind here. "What's the best fly to use, the easiest one to tie"

NAILED IT!

If I tied one I might add a lateral line of some silver or pearl mylar. Crystal flash, flashabou, whatever. Give it a little zing. It reminds me of the appearance of a "Sanchez" Double Bunny. We all know how well that fly works.

hi saltydog,i,ve never seen a feather like that...looks like 80% fluff and 20% barbed at the black tip..platypus maybe lol..thanks for showing it.

Ben Bell----. some one sent me bunch of pairs to tie with an thoes were the best out of the batch , a got a few more to play with later. GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN

post-282-0-55111400-1483055477_thumb.jpg

They are turkey flats. Basically the body feathers of a domesticated turkey, based on the color it's not very likely a wild bird.

I used to do a bonefish pattern I called the Two Feather fly -using two matched saddle hackles (for both the tail and the body of the bug). I'll have to see if I can find a sample or two. It was a great pattern for working over heavy turtle grass.

They are turkey flats. Basically the body feathers of a domesticated turkey, based on the color it's not very likely a wild bird.

They could be from a Merriam wild turkey. The lower back feathers.

Or a Gould's.

They could be from a Merriam wild turkey. The lower back feathers.

Or a Gould's.

I don't think so. Those would be dark with light tips. These here most likely came from a domesticated breed, the broad breasted white. They're the most common commercial breed as well.

Edit: there are some dark with light tips, however the wild birds "fluff" part of the feather would be dark as well. And these are light. So not wild IMHO

Indeed. I'm sorry Mike you're right. It's been a while since I've raised them. I couldn't remember the two whites. The one I named hasn't got any black on it.