Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
L. B. Fly Tyer

A Doz. Bully Bluegill Spiders

Those look like Bluegill food, but why not just post these in the "January flies from the vise"?

The Bully Spider can be a challenge to get properly weighted sometimes. You want them to sink butt first so the legs flutter. But when you have it right, THEY ARE KILLER.

Those look like Bluegill food, but why not just post these in the "January flies from the vise"?

Perhaps because he wanted to spark a little conversation about the flies, tools, or ingredients, or because he wanted to be a little more active. Maybe he hasn't been around to know what the monthly thread is... doesn't matter I guess, what's it hurtin?

Good flies by the way. If i want to catch some gills I find they like olive and black colors, and materials with a lot of movement like marabou.

If you can tie a neat streamer about 1" long that is a good bet too.

L.B. Is that a Stonfo bobbin ? How do u like it ? Nice flies by the way.

what's it hurtin?

Obviously it's not hurting anything. But I often wonder at the many threads are started just to show a fly(ies) that could easily be placed on the monthly thread. There are TONS of threads that are nothing more than a single post or two ... just an observation and a question.

Perhaps being new like me, he may be looking for better pointers and such. Although, the Beginners corner would be best place yet. I just used the monthly thread for the first time last month. Not very much of a photographer myself, so I only takes pictures when I'm really proud or really could use some help...

But back to the main topic, with the lead wire, I'm guessing those are sinkers. You know, I've often substituted dubbing for chenille too. I've always meant to order smaller chenille, but never got around to it and have plenty of dubbing.

I tied a spider just last night actually. But it's the dry fly type. Very sparse hackle and no tail. Something to throw in the box.

That is a Stonfo bobbin in the size compact. Right now I have one standard and one compact one. I really like the compact on for tying anything under size 10 because it has a small neck to it to get in tight spaces. Unlike other bobbins I found that these type of bobbins are nick free and won't damage your thread. I would recommend getting one.

My rule of thumb is posting separate threads if I want to ask for feedback on my tying and posting in the monthly thread if I am just showing a fly. Since the original post does not ask for feedback, I can see Mike's point.

Not to say that this is a reason to post separately, but I can also see how it can be intimidating to post in the monthly thread at first, when you see some of the wonders people tie around here. But, what the heck, we all start somewhere.

By the way, these bugs are fine no matter where you post them and I am going to have to tie me some. Thanks for sharing.