Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

March Georgia trout patterns.

Have booked a walk-n-wade trout trip in N Ga with Reelanglingadventures on March 26th. (Gonna miss opening day turkey hunting, bummer!) We should be in the Toccoa river or tail water area I think. I'll be fly fishing, my girlfriend will be spin fishing. Any ideas as to what patterns I need to pack? Would be cool to catch my first trout on my own fly...

Also since I've never fished with a guide before... Any rules/ediquette I need to know of? Do you tip guides? How much? Any help appreciated guys. I'm stoked for this trip. Booked one last October but had to cancel sadly. This one will happen though! Come hell or high wat... Well... Nvm I guess high water could hurt the trip. Lol.

You should tip the guide. Not sure of the rates. We have tipped about $50 or up on North Platte River and Big Horn all day floats that we booked for about $300.00, for a baseline. Depends on what services, lunch, flies, etc. are included. More if we are on big and many fish.

You should try to determine the usual and customary, see how well you are treated -- probably treated quite well -- then act accordingly. Sometimes the outfitters will tell you a recomended amout to expect on tips. These folks generally work hard to earn a living, so if they do a good job, reward them accordingly.

I have asked to row the boat and let them fish a couple of times. We have tipped as much as $200.00 for extraordinary skill, dedication, good humor, friendly instruction and Results.

Talk to the outfitters ... see if you can talk to your guide. Ask him/her what flies they recommend. If they're helpful even before you get there, then they're probably going to be great. There are also lots of threads on this site the link to "hatch" charts for different parts of the Country.

Use the basic "server's standard" for gratuities. 16% is considered a "normal" tip ... 20% maximum. Only the most exceptional service deserves anything more than 20%.

Keep in mind, wait-staff are often paid much less than minimum wage, and tips help bring them up to or over that.

Your guide, on the other hand, is getting paid well for a day on the water, your tip is ONLY to show appreciation for a job well done.

If they don't do a good job, you are not required to tip them, at all. Surly, rude or unhelpful attitudes don't deserve any "gratitude".

The Wiggley Worm* pattern (or whatever it's called) will slay them. I'm from N GA and have fished the Toccoa River. Sucker spawn will do it to, as will Y2K. Your guide will tell you what to use. My fishing bud was up in NC across the state line last week, said a guide (not his) was fishing for himself using like size 22 -24 dry flies and slaying them off a 9x tippet. That's way above my skill level. Didn't say what the fly was, I doubt it matters a lot that small.

March Browns would make a good indicator for a dropper for a nymph.

*Make that Squirmy Wormy. In pink to red. A trash fly, but VERY deadly.

Leaving out this morning. Headed to trout water! Praying streams won't be blown out from all the rain!

ON the contrary ... hook 'em AND cook 'em ... at least, have one stream side fish fry.

Good luck !!!

ON the contrary ... hook 'em AND cook 'em ... at least, have one stream side fish fry.

Good luck !!!

Well, we are both right about this.

Small trout, freshly caught, are delicious; as are Mackinaw's at about 20 inches field-dressed, and laid right on a BBQ grill.

In my experience, every big trout I have eaten, tasted poorly, especially if it had been frozen.

Fisherboy is going to get the Big Boys, thus, hookem don't cookem, our Western motto, applies

My "big boy" was about four inches long. A wild rainbow caught on an EHC I tied! First trout! Woohoo! Sadly only fish of the trip. My girlfriend hooked a few nicer fish in the big river on a spinner. We both hooked many wild rainbows on a dry fly on a tiny higher altitude stream. Lots of wading and bushwacking. Lots of fun. Worth every Penny.