Fly Tying
Idaho RC

Renzetti Master Vise Rotary Parachute Attachment?

Nice job!

Funny you mention that. The hackle stacker flies are exactly what prompted me to check into this. 1/8" rod will fit perfectly in the front hole in the Master Vise. I just need some 1/8 rod. Do you have some more you would be willing to ship? I figured I will give the hardware store a try next week and see if they have and of the rod.

Nice job!

Funny you mention that. The hackle stacker flies are exactly what prompted me to check into this. 1/8" rod will fit perfectly in the front hole in the Master Vise. I just need some 1/8 rod. Do you have some more you would be willing to ship? I figured I will give the hardware store a try next week and see if they have and of the rod.

Home Depot or Lowes should have it in the section where they have aluminum extrusions, steel rod, etc. If you can't find it there, go to any hobby shop that deals with model building (not Michaels). Actually the brass version was the Mark II version. The first go round was made with a piece of coat hanger wire. It worked fine too, but didn't match the Renzetti quite as nicely.

Perfect! Now let's see some hackle stackers. They are some of my favourite flies and they are lots of fun to tie.

You may have to cut a bit off the lower leg to get the proper height. My vise has a screw in the side of the hole where you put the tool; yours may but I couldn't tell from the picture.

Nicely done, Idaho ... until you want to rotate the vise and fly. That gallows will not allow that!

Nicely done, Idaho ... until you want to rotate the vise and fly. That gallows will not allow that!

It doesn't really matter much. When I'm tying hackle stackers, I do a bunch and tie them off before I need the gallows. Then I swap the bobbin cradle for the gallows and finish off each fly - easy peasy.

Of course it won't. I think it's possible to shorten it up enough so that it would rotate. I will mess with it but I don't think it will be necessary. They way it is now is just loosen the screw and it comes right off. It's pretty slick. I wish I could take credit but credit is to all the smart folks on the forum.

It doesn't really matter much. When I'm tying hackle stackers, I do a bunch and tie them off before I need the gallows. Then I swap the bobbin cradle for the gallows and finish off each fly - easy peasy.

That was my thought also. Time will tell. I have been busy I made the attachment but haven't used it yet. You can bet the hackle stacker will be my next fly on it.

Thanks so much for all the help. Too cool!

If you're really concerned about maintaining full rotary function, you could reduce the height of the gallows attachment by getting rid of the spring and clip. You don't really need them if tying hackle stackers. If you look at my attachment you'll see a hook bend at the end. Loop the thread over the gallows one or more times to form the "post" for the stack. There is enough flex in the gallows to provide tension in the loop. The spring and clip aren't necessary. Obviously if you're doing parachutes, they are, but the question becomes why do you need a gallows for parachutes?

I'm confused as to why you need full rotary function. I've never tied stacked hackle flies and understand how a gallows is neat, but a fixed gallows would seem to do the job just fine. I don't use gallows for parachute flies.

What am I missing here?

It's only if you use the rotary function when winding dubbing and/or ribbing on the abdomen, which like to do. That's why when I'm doing hackle stack flies I'll complete each fly up to the end of where the rotary is useful and then tie it off. After I've done a bunch up to that point, I take the bobbin cradle off, mount the gallows attachment, and then complete each fly. I have no choice to do it this way since my gallows attachment uses the same clamp that the cradle does so I can only have one or the other attached. In Idaho's case, his attachment clamps on the rotary shaft that holds the jaws, so he can have the bobbin cradle and gallows both attached. The only constraint is that the top and bottom portions of the gallows, as shown in his photo, are so long that they won't clear the base if rotated. Hope that clarifies.

I shortened the spring a bit and lowed the rod and without cutting the bottom of the rod it will rotate and clear the bobbin holder. When it is lowered to clear the bobbin holder there isn't a lot of room around the fly and it makes it a little more difficult wrap thread around the fly. It can be done it just not as convenient. I think I will end up removing the rod and then putting it back in when I need it. I have only tied two hackle stackers so more time using it I will figure out what works best. Thanks again for everyone's input!