Fly Tying

Carp are a fish that pull hard, and usually need to be fished for with an 8wt or greater. My little 5wt barely stood a chance! Not enough backbone to get the fish in, so I had to beach him with my hands. Still an absolute great day, and a giant beast of a fish to boot. I cannot believe I brought him in! For a while it seemed like the fight would carry on for hours! Instead it was 21 minutes, but it was 21 minutes of pure excitement!

Ha! Now THAT'S a fishing video !!!
What a monster of a fish !

5 weight rod ... but what strength leader/tippet were you using?

I started off with a 3wt flouro tippet, but I think it went bad because it would snap each time I hooked a fish (this happened twice before I changed). So what I did was snipped my leader off to about what looked like roughly 0x size, and tied on a size 1x tippet at 5 feet long. Thats when I hooked this guy. Again, the longer video's explain a bit more and show the struggle throughout the day. These shorter ones require much more explaining. HAHA But some people love them, so I make the shorter ones as well now, when I catch the larger fish.

Dude, I kept waiting for you to put some serious heat on that fish. A 5 wt is plenty of rod for a 30 inch carp, most carp guys I know use between a 4 and 6 wt, but if you don't put the hurt on 'em they're going to push you around. Try 15 to 20 lb fluoro tippet, when they're feeding they aren't leader shy, and then you can swing the fight in your favor.

I like about 1:54 into the video where it looked like you were trying to sneak up on him but quickly failed.

I like about 1:54 into the video where it looked like you were trying to sneak up on him but quickly failed.

Sneak?

Watch the video. You step off the left side then come back towards the fish. It just looked like you were sneaking up on the fish.

Oh haha. Yeah I see what you mean. Not my intention. I was just following the fish, and I knew my head was out of the shot so I was bending down a bit. Just trying to chase the fish down. I was out of the shot for almost 10 munutes, as he went clear to the other side of the lake. I bent down and nealed for a while because I was pretty tired by that point.

Ohhh at 1:54, no that was me trying to pull him up closer, I see what you mean though. I was just trying to get him up closer to shore, I had no leverage in him up close, I had to step back to get him closer to shore where I could reach him. But yeah, no success, he kept running anyway.