Fly Tying
flytire

June Flies from the Vise

post-37956-0-33661300-1497776091_thumb.jpgpost-37956-0-09271700-1497776101_thumb.jpgJust a little something for Bass on a Mustad C52SBLN 2XL Size 1 hook

Necessity is the mother of invention. I was at a pond Saturday with a lot of pads, and I knew there were bass under them. My weedless deer hair bugs (slider and popper) failed in 2 ways: 1) they were too light to make much disturbance on the pads and 2) they both rolled onto their backs on the pads due to the downward facing hook with 2-strand guards. The only strike I had came when the fly plopped down hard before even one strip. That fish missed, but that commotion did get a strike. So, I came home and tied this:

0E3AE716-B806-41B2-B561-FD1132BEBA81_zps

The tungsten bead is on the belly for keeling purposes. As an added bonus, it gives the bug a little more mass while keeping it easily castable. I kept this one orange (powder coated) for testing purposes. Basically, I can tell at a glance if it's still on there. The EWG worm hook, inverted, with a single strand mono weed guard should take care of the snag-free portion. The fly should fish just fine as a standard bass bug in open water, but should really shine being drug over heavy cover where you wouldn't usually cast a bug.

6Ly44VE.jpg

SEREN STUPIDITY UV2 – (The X) – MFC/Variant, Daiichi 1130, #16 – #20…
1vQRVaP.jpg
UV2 SHOP VAC (Rusty Brown) – Rowan Nyman/Variant, Daiichi 1130, #16 – #20… a little experiment I’ll be fishin’ on…
BVWSAJy.jpg
UV2 SHOP VACs (Rusty Brown)…#18 & #16…
PT/TB