Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Current events

I think somebody got their Brownie uniform 1 size too small

I'm sure many people would think something like this when they hear someone like me talking like I'm talking. That's fine, whatever. I will say this, however--when a subject like this comes home to roost in your own immediate family, it's a lot harder to write it off as unimportant.

I do appreciate you using the gender-neutral pronoun "their" in place of "his" though. :)

No disagreement here. You put it very clearly.

I do not envy you, but I wish you the best in your journey. Attitudes are slowly changing and it is because of people like you, sharing your experience, that many people are starting to realize that transgender is not just a grown up dude that decides to dress in drag on weekends.

I am SOOOO glad I never had kids.

If I'd HAD kids, any girl would be considered a girl until she could write her name in the snow (without the help of a funnel).

Any boy would be considered a boy/man until he could give birth. (Wouldn't have to have a child, just have the "equipment" to give birth)

I don't have a problem with the LGBT etc. community ... I just don't want to know ALL the time !!!

As with most "oppressed" people ... it's the constant "reminder" that causes the segregation. Just live your life, and no one will bother you. No one asks "who you are" and THEN discriminates.

Draw attention to yourself, and people will have to respond. If they decide to discriminate ... well, it's a free Country. Their opinion is no less important than yours.

Mike, I generally agree with you on here and I mean no disrespect, but I couldn't disagree with you more on this. Why should my son or anyone else be expected to hide who they are? If we say, "It's fine to be (fill in the blank), just do it on the down-low so you don't upset anyone by making them see/hear/think about something that makes them uncomfortable, otherwise they might bully you", we're essentially saying that the potential bullies have more rights than anyone who might upset them. Or, to put it another way, "If you get bullied for being LGBT (or whatever), it's your own fault for being too obvious about it." That's just a like saying to a woman who gets raped that it's her fault for being too obviously sexually desirable! No one deserves to be discriminated against or bullied just for living how they please if they're not hurting anyone. Ever!

Ditto the general agreement and respect, Byron.

It's got nothing to do with hiding who you are. Just don't expect every one else to agree with you.

If a woman comes into the men's ocker room at the gym, because she feels like a man (and she's good looking), I am going to watch her take a shower.

If a man follows a girl into the restroom, because he feels like a woman, I will support the father when he beats the crap out of the guy.

You're, physically, a man or you're a woman. Any sexual/gender preference beyond that need not be advertised everyday, all the time.

If others "find out" or know of that preference and disagree, then deal with it and move on ... don't expect them to agree with you or sue them when they don't.

As Steve posted earlier, no one's going to change their mind on this thread.

I've said my piece.

You guys keep trying to make this a serious thread with adult discussion...

IT. WAS. JUST. A. JOKE...!!! :D

Last I have to say here is that thing about walking in somebody else’s shoes. You know how it goes...

It is interesting that in the end this thread has something in common with the snake one.

Bimini, before I go, I want to apologize to you for hijacking your thread. I agree with you about LL Cool J and the Rock Hall of Fame. I also want to thank you for your perspective and for reminding us all about walking a mile in "the others'" shoes. We need more people who think the way you do.

Steve and Mike, I thank you for your responses as well, and for keeping the conversation civil. I was trying for that level of discourse as well and I hope I succeeded.

No hard feelings on my part.

Peace.

Bryon

We're all good, I think. Most of the members on this site are good people. We have differences of opinion, but it's possible to have discussions without getting hot and bothered.

I, too, apologize for side-tracking the thread. But, since I've got zero interest in the hall-of-fame stuff, that part of the thread meant diddly.

I'm really glad to see how this thread ended like this. I actually stopped reading it after my last reply, not because I "took my toys and went home" lol...but just because as the site admin, it sometimes becomes hard for me as such to seperate personal feelings from my site duties here, so at times I find it best to just remove myself from conversations rather than risk going down a road I would rather not. Because beliefs / differences aside I like all you guys even if some of us do have differing opinions.

So yesterday after I stopped reading I emailed Mike and told him to keep an eye on this thread and let me know WHEN it needed to be shut down. I just got off the phone with Mike and he said "its all good it worked out fine".

I think thats cool guys. It's really good that we let a topic like Gender go for a bit, different opinions were shared, and as much as I thought it would prob have to be locked at some point, it was not. You guys all stayed civil and it ended with respect for each other.

So just wanted to say....Well done gents! You don't see things end this way that often on the internet. You guys have restored my faith in people, at least a tad ;)

You guys have restored my faith in people, at least a tad wink.png

laugh.png It's good to know you're easily impressed.

I don’t think we are bad, but the rest of the internet sets the bar pretty low anyway...

Time to stop the froral games now.