Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Musky Fly Swap 2018

MFG, I have some done. Not real happy with them but more so than the first half dozen messes I came up with. It is a learning process to handle all the feathers and synthetics and stack them reasonably well to give some flow in the water. I have one problem now that I hope to cure tomorrow. I wanted to put big red eyes on the aluminum dumbbells and I know I have a stack of probably over a hundred eyes of various sizes, some specifically for those dumbbells I used. Hunt and hunt and I can't find that tub or box of bag I put them in last. I will give a good look tomorrow but if I can't find them it will up to you guys (if you decide to actually throw one of mine) to stick some eyes on. I could color them with marker, put a dot in center, and fill with UV but I really like the look of the eye designed for them that extends out past the lip and with UV it can be seen from several angles. The hook is a 6/0 Salmon hook.

DSCF3103 (2).JPGDSCF3103 (3).JPG

Vic,

They look good. I am looking forward to casting one. Hopefully we can cast them together sometime this summer.

MFG

Vicrider,

Your flies arrived today. Thanks for the donation to the swap. In four months, I will be able to use it on the water. We are guaranteed to have ice out by then. I am looking forward to seeing them in the water. I will look and see if I can complete the eyes. A reminder that everyone's flies are due to me in 9 days.

Tom

Crackleback's flies arrived today. They are beautiful, articulated Flies, that will push water and have exceptional action. I really like how he is able to combine colors and textures. On the head, do you reverse tie several clumps of hair to get it to blend together so well? That blue/purple combination is also a favorite combination of mine for SMB. Thanks for the extra! That will be a perfect fly for the perch-based systems I fish. I will work hard to catch a fish and post it this year on your flies.

Glad they made it. Thats one of the last sets Id want the post office to lose. The head actually isnt reverse tied at all. You use hair from right at the base of the bucktail and stack and trim it like youre making a bass bug.

Crackleback - Thanks for the info. Turns out I asked the wrong question. The questions shoud have been about the collar behind the head where you mix blue and purple bucktail. Is that reverse on the first and stacked on subsequent ones?

Vicente - When all flies arrive, I will post pictures. I can take good pictures with my SLR camera or ones not quite as good on my iphone. The problem for me is posting. The photos are too large to post, so i use the iphone at the mid quality range and have no idea if they will come rightside up.

Eastern Fly - Your flies arrived today. They are beautifully tied streamers. You are an artist how you can integrate and blend the materials together. Do you count the amount or eyeball it? Thanks for the materials. I have been experimenting, trying to tie sucker patterns. I think these colors will work very well in the next patterns.

Tom

The body is all reverse tied. White on bottom/blue on top then white bottom/ purple top switching back and forth all the way to the head. It all blends together but in reality its blue/purple stripes.

MFG, I have the same problem with my camera. What I've learned to do is back off and take a pic with macro but at double the size or so I'd need just to get the flies. Then I go into the pic on my computer pictures after I transfer it and edit it down to the size I need just to include flies. At least on mine this does the job. If I get in tight and shoot just the flies the file is to big but editing a larger pic down has let me post them all right off the forum add picture. While I'm in there I've gotten more familiar with the options and alter background and enhance color and clarity on a lot of pics.

Thanks a lot. I worked over lots of patterns on paper before I found what I had in my head. For the flash I try to count them to stay consistent. That hair I sent you is some of the stuff I have been using in my a lot of my streamers. It's cheap, with lots of colors and I blend it also.

Kevin