Fly Tying
Fisherboy0301

Reptiles!

Snake fungal disease is becoming pretty prevalent. It is a fungus that feeds on keratin. That's what snake scales are made of. Attached are some pics of a black racer I took in form the Department of Natural Resources which had a SFD infection. Sadly he was too deformed to eat and had to be euthanized.

Another big thing is habitat degradation by fire suppression or habitat fragmentation by roads, agriculture, and development. Not sure where you are, but here the indigo snakes need huge tracts of continuous longleaf pine habitat to persist.

IMG_5199.JPG

IMG_5195.JPG

Haven't seen a snake that looked like that ever. I'm in the Mo. Ozarks and the decrease in all varieties of snakes is something that I noticed over the last 15-20 years, which coincides with the establishment of the armadillos here and also with an explosion in raptor population. Tarantulas have become rare over the same period.

Mention of fire suppression, it is notable that wild fires have been rare since the early '80s and prior to that were an annual event in March.

Here's some snappers working on more snappers. I took this almost five years ago on a nice summer day while fishing. That's my fly line in the pic. The only bad thing about it is that the entire section of that stream where I took that shot and caught a lot of trout is now posted.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-35611800-1518990607_thumb.jpg

post-12032-0-60771600-1518990626_thumb.jpg

Am I seeing it right that the lizzard in the second pic has a leg where it should not be?

I didn't notice any physical abnormalities...

but did commend them for their uninhibited public display of reptilian affection...

fullsizeoutput_6c7_zpsngkbutm6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1286_zpsx3cfw16k.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_12b8_zps1pwc7cx9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2325_zpstzeyod8o.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_555_zpskoptauwa.jpeg

Correction: second post, first lizard in second post.

Left front leg missing from its natural place, but grown close to left back leg. Or am I seeing things?

Correction: second post, first lizard in second post.

Left front leg missing from its natural place, but grown close to left back leg. Or am I seeing things?

I suspect it's just an inconvenient pose...

ALL the reptiles here at Pete's Last Resort are covered by Medicare and, except for ME, have not been found to defective... wink.png

BTW... there is a bug hitching a free ride on that lazy lizard butt...

IMG_0327_zps2weyvj0b.jpg

Gorgeous photos Peter! Could you PM me the location of that spotted turtle? Not on this thread please. Im working with the Orianne Society surveying for them here in Ga and Fl but we have been encouraged to submit any sighting within their range to them. The more specific the location the better.

Sandfly, theyd awesome. Ive not yet had the pleasure to meet a rattler on the water. Thanks for not killing it too!

Sweet Garter pics! Ive only found one of those buggers.

I have some spotted turtle, mud turtle, snapper, and slider pics to upload.

A corn snake and a Hognose that came in my yard the other day, and some salamanders from NC and TN recently. Will be flossing younwith photos soon!