Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eborraga

My Cheap Tying Bench

I had a bunch of scrap oak laying around. I decided to make a simple tying bench. So here it is, nothing special, but less than $15.00 in material

post-63727-0-37037000-1540523130_thumb.jpg

post-63727-0-49764500-1540523141_thumb.jpg

Mine's a highly abused, extra large breakfast tray. I took a drill to it late one night, glued in / on some dowels, magnets and velcro (most of what's spillable has matching velcro on the bottom), and eventually painted some of it -- all with spare stuff I had not thrown out over the years and adding about $7 at the hardware store (for the dowels and some of the magnets). It's downright ugly. But highly portable and easy to set up just about anywhere, and tuck away easy when finished. It's main feature, though, is two separate, spacious flat areas that I can put stuff on, cut on, glue on, mark on, etc. Also great for traveling (as pictured) -- I can stack all my material boxes and bags on it, and open up shop in the motel for tying in the evenings to match hatches or replace lost flies.

post-60546-0-76645800-1508472079.jpg

My tying is often done on a cookie sheet in my lap while watching tv. I try to focus on one type of fly at a sitting. Not ideal, but it works.

I had a bunch of scrap oak laying around. I decided to make a simple tying bench. So here it is, nothing special, but less than $15.00 in material

That's a functional looking station, eborraga. Nothing wrong with "rough looking" ... manly, Wife would say !!!!