Fly Tying
j8000

2 questions for using 3 weight line

In the Smoky Mountains streams where I fish, a 3 weight line will work on any rod no matter what line is recommended for said rod. I fish 99% nymphs and rarely use a dry fly. As a result, I am fishing primarily with the leader and probably no more that 3 or 4 feet on fly line past the tip of the rod.

Joe

What is the ~diameter of 3wt line?

Isn't the first 5-6' of 6-9wt DT lines about the same as 3wt.?

Like Joe said in small streams most of the fishing doesn't really use much line or very long casts. When fishing brooks in New England all I used was the leader and 3-4' of DT9. Often only leader.

Double taper just means the line has a taper on both ends, each end could be exactly the same a single taper there would be no difference until you cast out the whole tapered section then the straight section in the middle and reached the back of the second taper.

That's absolutely correct, but every DT I own or have used came with some small level line before the taper, then the taper made it get bigger to another size level line. I have personally never seen a DT that was not the same on both ends, all of which is irrelevant when you are only using that 5-6' of small level line outside the tip.

When only the leader and a very short segment of line are in use, the rest of the line on the reel could be 2wt or 12wt for all the difference it makes to the cast or the fishing, because it is still on the reel. Small stream. Almost tenkara.

I was just curious how near to 3wt that 5' of line is, if it is bigger or smaller. maybe I'll buy a 3wt just for comparison.

Unless you're roll casting 50ft+ of line, the double taper will have no effect, your still only using a single taper it just happens to be a taper that works well for roll casting.

It's the level part of any line that works well in roll casting, the taper is for more delicate presentation, not of great value in ultra light lines, The double part is for reversing the line after you have worn out, or damaged the first taper, in essence doubling the "life" of the line.

Double taper lines are my preference. Casting 20 feet of line plus 9 foot of leader is the most I'd usually use on the specific streams I'm thinking of. Plus if I needed a bit more line out I'd just shoot out an additional 10 feet to give me more than I could imagine using on these streams. But yes, there are plenty of times where I toss just the leader and a few feet of line. At that point I think a lighter weighted rod would help tossing the little weight there is.

Well, I decided to get a 3wt with 3wt DT line. I figure I can use my 4.5wt line I already have or switch to the 3wt line and use whatever works best of those two. Now I just have to figure the length of the rod...

I used to think on small streams an 8 ft rod with a slightly "overloaded" line weight was the way to go. And it does fine.

But some years back I got into Tenkara style. In those same streams I find a 14'7 rod just laying out 14 ft of leader and 6 ft of tippet lets me lay flies out over 30 ft away very gently with an "underhand" flip under brush and branches. The added control from the rod makes even tight pockets assailable. And line mending is easier as well. It's made me rethink rod length for small waters. My next rod will be 9 ft or 9'6", probably 5 wt, and not because I want to cast long distances. I seldom tie or fish smaller than size 20 hooks anymore. As you mention, 20 ft of line out lets you get into a lot of pockets.

And if you do high-rod nymphing the added height increases your [limited] range.

Charlie my 4wt rod is 9'10 I love it, all the benefits you mentioned plus if I have to cast it's easier to get my line up above the bank bushes or grass on the back cast when I do need to reach out a bit more.

I do most of my fishing on small streams in the Smokies where short casts and tight tree canopy are the norm. My go-to for most fishing is an 8' 3 wt. I recently bought a 10' 3 wt. Haven't used it much yet, but I'm liking it so far. On small streams with their rocks and conflicting currents, fishing at short distances being able to keep as much line off the water as you can helps a lot with fly presentation.

Boy, you make a good case for a longer rod. With overhead trees... Now I'm going to have to really think about this. In these streams I loose all my flies to overhead trees.

I don't understand the "longer rod is better with over hangs" etc.

I fish from a boat the majority of the time. When I get to a stretch of bank that has over hanging branches, docks, etc., I pull out the 5'6" 3/4 weight Steve built for me. I've got MUCH more control of my line as I snake it in, around and under the cover. My loop is lower, the trajectory is lower and I can roll out much farther under the branches than I could ever hope to with a longer rod.

I'm not arguing against you guys who like your longer rods ... I just don't understand it.

It's entirely different fishing from a boat in big water with over hangs far away from you than being on tight quarters on a creek though.