Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Braided tube fly ... my version

Piker ... it's a mylar tubing. Clear and chrome. I bought a bag of it at Dollar Tree. Now I wish I'd bought two. They had this clear, and they had a green version.

I'll be looking for it again next December.

When I get back home, I'll look at the packaging and see if there's a manufacturer's site/name/sales.

There's no lead in it, Poopdeck. But I don't think the small amount of foam "gut" will float it. If the tubing floats, it might stay in the surface ... and that would be deadly. But I do not think they'll float ON the surface.

Piker ... it's a mylar tubing. Clear and chrome. I bought a bag of it at Dollar Tree. Now I wish I'd bought two. They had this clear, and they had a green version.

I'll be looking for it again next December.

When I get back home, I'll look at the packaging and see if there's a manufacturer's site/name/sales.

There's no lead in it, Poopdeck. But I don't think the small amount of foam "gut" will float it. If the tubing floats, it might stay in the surface ... and that would be deadly. But I do not think they'll float ON the surface.

I have a fair amount of mylar in different weaves and diameters. I like the look of that fly so will try a few of those.

First two, bass, were taken on a foam spider. Everything else hit this braided tube minnow. I tried my snail and my "go-to" panfish attractor, but nothing worked except the minnow. Might be my new favorite if this performance keeps up.

They were all small ... but I'm fairly convinced if there'd been bigger fish in there, I'd have hooked some.

Wife and I were up there a few years ago, in July. Still wasn't "Shorts and T-shirts" for me !!!