Fly Tying

I can't stand auto correct and self appearing emoji's.

If today's student was to write the Gettysburg Address with their reliance on spell and grammar checks it wouldn't have the impact. So I have been told.

Tweaking the rules of grammar can be a useful tool if used properly.

I have a similar Patagonia sling pack I like it, holds everything I need easily, it's comfortable easy to access when I want to change flys.

I have the Patagonia stealth atom in 7.5l and wish I went with the 15L. Great packs though in either size.

If I tie one more box of flies "I got to have these" flies or another package of weights, I will need a Sherpa, not a pack or vest.

I use a Umpqua Steamboat 1200 sling. So far it does the job for me. I could care less if my sling gets wet. Do all of you who don't want your slings to get wet not fish in the rain?

I use a Umpqua Steamboat 1200 sling. So far it does the job for me. I could care less if my sling gets wet. Do all of you who don't want your slings to get wet not fish in the rain?

Speaking for myself only -- yes of course I've fished in the rain, but there is a difference between that and submerging part or all of a pack, even briefly. One good dunk will let in more water than you'd get from being out in heavy rain for hours.

Personally I wear some kind of poncho or shell if fishing in the rain. Thing about a sling is that just like the creel that it replaced, it would always be left on the bank anyway, so might not be at risk for dunking. I can tell you that sling, chest pack of vest, it isn't the pack you worry about being wet- it the 600-1000 items inside the pack that have be more or less individually dried or discarded that cause concern.

I carry 552 to 952 less things. I don't carry more then 3 or 4 dozen flies at most. In fact I can usually carry everything, excluding a SANDWICH, in my shirt pockets and a lanyard. My pack usually only comes out when I'm fishing poppers since those boxes don't fit in my pocket.

This whole thread--including its diversion into grammar and linguistics that I prompted--can be summed up in one familiar old saying: "Different strokes for different folks." On the extreme ends of the spectrum, some of us like the bare essentials tucked into a shirt or jacket pocket, while others like to carry everything including the kitchen sink in the most comfortable and functional pack for us. Most of us probably fall somewhere in between. I love my current pack, and I do recommend it to people who appear to have some of the same criteria vis-a-vis packs as I do, but I don't delude myself that others will necessarily like it just because it's good for me.

Sometimes fishermen complain about the "gimmicky" nature of so many of the products that are endlessly marketed to us, but I rather like it myself. No matter how silly or useless a given product might seem to me, I know that there's someone out there for whom that thing is just what they've been looking for. Regardless of how any one of us might like to think of it, most of the fishing we do is just recreation. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to do it, as long as you're within the bounds of the law and not hurting anyone.

Yep. Freedom is a wonderful thing. When I pack heavy I use my boat to hump everything. When I'm hoofing it, it's as little as possible. I must admit though, when I'm looking at packs they do get me thinking but then I always check myself by asking if I want to carry everything I can fit in it only to use a dozen things.

Due to heart surgeries sometime ago, I had to give up my 500 vest and when I was able to start fishing again, I went with a chest pack (down to 350 lbs). Then went to shirt pockets and cargo pants. Now when I am at altitudes I use either a tech vest that will hold my O2 bottle or regular vest and an O2 pack. Most of the time though I still use only shirt and cargo pants unless I am going to be a long way from the car. Found I really don't need much than a couple of boxes, couple indicators, small shot, and my lanyard with forceps, tippet and nippers. Sandwich, TP, band aids, small multitool goes in cargo pants. Water bottle goes on wader belt. Even when I use the tech vest or regular vest, I don't carry much more than I do with shirt.

I figured out that it really is okay to not fill all the pockets on your vest, if you don't want to. Wacky, brazen, and totally against the rules of fishing, but I don't care.

I empty the vest almost every trip and fill only the pockets I need on the next trip. I have a 40 year old back pack that acts as tackle bag for reels, boxes, vest, etc. Bought it for that way back then.