Fly Tying
Barbless Bob

Best epoxy to use for saltwater flies

Liquid Fusion has its uses but is not a reasonable substitute for FlexCoat in my mind especially if you are trying to build up an area quickly such as a head or body. Might serve reasonable well to coat a Crease Fly with multiple applications for example, but epoxy would do it in one coat, so not sure what the advantage would be. I seriously wonder about the assertion that it is tougher than epoxy, but perhaps in limited applications (certainly hasn't been my experience).

I like the fast curing time of the thick UV epoxies, I am not in love with the prices - but can't beat positioning everything where you want and 3 seconds later, your fly is finished.

Whatfly I'm guessing the tougher is in regards to flexing without cracking or chipping most epoxys especially the fast stuffing ones become fairly brittle in a short amount of time. That's why I use glfex on my knives it keeps its elasticity fairly well.

Has anyone tried using the toughened/rubberized ca glue on flies? I wanted to get a bottle the last time I was at rockler but the small 2.5oz bottles are like 10$ and I already needed a regular 20$ is a lot of money to spend on super glue in a day.

I've been busy tying a bunch of spoon flies for a test and so far Flexcoat Lure Gel 2-part epoxy seems to be the best. But, the real test will come soon in Florida this month to see how durable they are after a few fish eat them. I did a similar test in December, and the spoons certainly attracted fish, but the flies coated with 5-minute epoxy would fall apart after landing the first or second fish on them. I'm hoping that Flexcoat Lure Gel will add durability, so they last for at least 4 or 5 fish.

No matter how well your bugs are designed and tied.. the fish where you're going are pretty tough on flies (serious understatement....). Me, I'm happy if they do the job at least once.

Here's a quick follow up to my original question about the "best" epoxy for saltwater flies. In retrospect I should have phrased the question more precisely as it relates to an epoxy that would provide the most durable coating under saltwater conditions for spoon flies.

I was looking for an epoxy that would add strength and durability to bonding the fly together so that the fly could withstand multiple hookups without having to be replaced after just one or two takes by fly-destroying fish. I tried several "cheap" epoxies which could land one or two fish, but the best so far is Flex Coat's more expensive Lure Gel epoxy. On a recent trip to Naples, FL, I was able to land multiple large ladyfish on it without it showing too much wear. My goal is make a decent spoon fly that has good action for redfish, snook, and jacks that will be able to withstand landing at least 4 or more fish. Flex Coat's Lure Gel seems to have met the challenge, but it's expensive stuff. After I use up my Flex Coat, I'll give Liquid Fusion a try.

Thanks for all your help regarding my original question!