Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
xvigauge

Carhartt Crazy

They're ok, not anything outstanding, actually kind of lacking in the jacket department as well as anything with a hood is too hot to wear most of the time at least in the canvas. I have a pair of pants my brother gave me, they're ok but from past experience working with other people who bought carhartt I expect them to last half as long as my 20$ jeans from Ross.

Worked in Construction for 10 years. Wore Carhartt's most of the time because they were durable, comfortable and did the job. A local Surplus store always having them on Sale helped, too.

The kicker? Wearing blanket quilted, insulated Carhartt's whilst Ice Fishing in -15° temps. Stayed nice & toasty, & never got cold.

But, once they were washed a few times, they seemed to lose some of their oomph.

So... I stopped washing them. I figured they were good, once they started to stand on their own, without any visible means of Support.

I live in Carhartt stuff most of the time, and have for most of my life, since wearing the original bibs for busting briars while coon and rabbit hunting as a teenager. Add in several decades of working outside, and it's a no-brainer. It's tough, long-lasting, and fits right. Jeans, canvas britches, jacket, fleece hoodie, insulated and uninsulated bibs, t-shirts, and even got a Carhartt belt on right now. I buy it and use it because it works for what I need and survives my life of working and playing outdoors 7 days a week, and other stuff just doesn't. My favorite thing they have came out with in the last few years are the Force tshirts.

I really like the ruggedness of their jackets and coats.

I initially thought they would be the perfect cold weather, sit around the campsite after fishing jacket.

The problem I had was with the cheep metal zippers that seem really outdated and always bind.

If these jackets had a more modern nylon zipper, like a YKK, I would give them two thumbs up.

Instead, I ended up donating my jacket to Goodwill.

Don't wash them and don't use the zippers- two most important things to know. And of course don't try to move much.