Fly Tying
flytire

November Flies From The Vise

I think that, and I could be wrong, one of the reasons we keep having trouble getting on is because we are re-posting large files, like pictures, over and over again. Let's try to say things like "great fly Norm" instead of copying his quote and picture.

Buy the way, great fly Norm. Kimo and Scott, you guys are really killing it too. (with the fly tying)

(I just added "Kimo" to my computers dictionary so it wouldn't keep trying to auto correct it into something else)

Denson's Buggered Soldier Muddler

32181298577_b3bf858e21_c.jpg

32181298447_9e3b4be3a6_c.jpg

40158517933_c6c6f598b4_c.jpg

hook - Dai Riki 075 #8

thread - Danville 6/0 red

tag - Danville Depth Ray fire orange

rib - oval tinsel gold

body - dubbing ginger/fiery brown/red

body hackle - grizzly dyed ginger (Mimosa - 4 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1/2 Tsp Rit Camel/4 cups water)

shoulder hackle - golden pheasant red rump

head - deer hair

Regards,

Scott

Mc-Ginty-800.jpg

McGinty (Wet) (Don Martinez)

Hook: Wet/nymph style

Thread: Black

Tail: Red hackle fibers

Body: Yellow and black chenille

Throat: Brown hackle fibers

Wing: Gray squirrel tail

Scott, would you fish the muddler variants dry or wet? Either way, they look like they'll fish.

Norm your flies are always very pretty. I want to be like you when I get big. Maybe not as grumpy though tongue.png biggrin.png.

Scott, would you fish the muddler variants dry or wet? Either way, they look like they'll fish.

Mark,

Strictly dry.

Caught this

48490710172_75211a28f4_c.jpg

Here

48490540756_45a6aa6834_c.jpg

Using this

48490539091_a30cde79d3_c.jpg

Caught this

48680457896_8a0788cdf7_c.jpg

Here

48680457261_8c50cb2872_c.jpg

Using this

48680623912_5132afb099_c.jpg

Caught this

48692382038_502f7d4efa_c.jpg

Here

48692895412_e8daa6eabb_c.jpg

Using this

48692723211_de2432b608_c.jpg

Montana trout seem to like Irish lough flies.

Regards,

Scott

first mouse i've ever tied

needs som refinement. different hook, longer tail

sorry but i dont always tie pretty flies :(

Minnie-Mouse-800.jpg

I second that, mark. I've been tying up some bead head nymphs, and to me they look purdey because they're my first nymphs that actually look decent. When you tie up something that you're proud of, you just want to go fishing with them. Sadly, the river that I live near no longer has fish.

Mark, I know you love ice fishing and all, and I think those nymphs just might do it for jigs. But Mike and Steve get fly fishing year round. Many people say, judging on the way a talk, look, and act, I should be in Florida. Some people like the cold, but I like the heat (and something else on the beach, but I'm not going to say what! You probably can figure it out if you know me well enough! :) ) And if you watch this YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL0L7RQ8mrO10OLRlWPoq6A?pbjreload=10 and watch these kinds of videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk_MgBV1eSw, you can't blame me. BUT, that isn't the only place on my bucket list! Montana, Colorado, Colombia Jungles, and eventually the Amazon river! Then after I've had my fun over there, I'll go back to AK to live a subsistence lifestyle.

Scott, Once I get my paws on some dyed deer hair, I'm making a batch of muddlers.

Tier,

Sounds like a plan, but I warn you the fishing always seems better someplace other than where you happen to live. Having said that I do love it here in SW Florida. Consider looking a colleges in places you'd like to live. That would give you a chance to explore that place and you get an education so you can do whatever you want afterwards.

If you look at the recipe that Scott gives there is usually a dye recipe as well if something needed dying. In other words dye your own. Btw A.K Best has a great book on dying materials.

Swamp

Brookes-Fancy-800.jpg

Brookes' Fancy

Hook - Wet/nymph style

Thread - Purple

Ribbing - Peacock herl

Body - Purple floss, thread or uni-stretch

Hackle - White

Dang, everyone is just on fire this month! It's like watching a masters class.

Kimo that damsel is wicked. It's a very nice blend of realism and practicality. What are you using to tie down the gills? I can't tell if it's a cream thread or mono. Whatever it is it blends in to the point that it took more than just a glance to see it at all.

Swamp

Scott, Once I get my paws on some dyed deer hair, I'm making a batch of muddlers.

The dyed deer hair heads are fun, but not mandatory; natural hair makes a very effective fly.

Regards,

Scott