Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Is there value in obtaining your materials from the wild?

+1 Mark, let’s go back to discussion about “value” in a bigger sense and not just $$$$

Certainly that's what this thread is mostly about. I am not generally motivated by money. Money is only important to me when I have bills to pay.

+1 Mark, let’s go back to discussion about “value” in a bigger sense and not just $$$$

“... I am not generally motivated by money. Money is only important to me when I have bills to pay....”

Mark, I knew this early on just by reading your posts and watching how you operate. It wasn’t where I was going; I was hoping to re-direct the energy in this thread towards the collecting part not the “I save money tying flies” vs. “you must be joking even thinking you will save money” debate that rages on here, ad nausem at times, between each camp. Both positions have merit, it is a matter of proportions...

Carry On

I've processed many types of natural fur, hair & feather for my tying when I was younger and enjoyed doing it. I dislike wasting anything so when I hunted or trapped a lot, I used what that generated.

I don't do much hunting now. I may shoot a few Squirrels around my yard, and do save the hides & tails for tying.

Otherwise, when I obtain most things now, it's purchased.

I stay busy enough now that I really don't have the time or the inclination to want to put forth the effort to be processing raw natural products. That may change, but for now, I'll just stick to buying most of what I want or need.

As far as the "saving money" aspect, no, and know I never will. I've spent enough to have bought a well stocked fly shop, so saving isn't even in the equation. I make lures too, and read similar comments from other lure makers about their time and it's worth. I look at tying flies or making lures the same, my time is worth something, and has to be included to get a fair comparison of value. When processing raw materials, there's plenty of time involved too, so do you really save?

The other night I spent about 3 hours wrapping jig eyes with teflon tape for the powder painting process, to keep them clear of paint. I did this at a time when I might normally be spending time on my computer doing nothing of "value". I really don't include that time in a cost or savings perspective. It was 3 hours that I would not be paid anything for it anyway, and I know I can never get it back, but wouldn't if I was sitting and staring at a computer either. It would have been otherwise idle time. In any aspect of life, you don't get paid for every hour, yet your time will still have value in one way or another. If I really accounted for all of my time, and was selling a fly or lure based on that accounting, I would have to price them for $100 or more each for it to be worthwhile.

Where I save is with my sanity. I enjoy tying, making lures, being somewhat creative, keeping my mind & body occupied and having plenty of flies or lures to fish with.

That to me, is the real value in doing any of this.

“... I am not generally motivated by money. Money is only important to me when I have bills to pay....”

Mark, I knew this early on just by reading your posts and watching how you operate. It wasn’t where I was going; I was hoping to re-direct the energy in this thread towards the collecting part not the “I save money tying flies” vs. “you must be joking even thinking you will save money” debate that rages on here, ad nausem at times, between each camp. Both positions have merit, it is a matter of proportions...

Carry On

I know you did. I was agreeing, to get back to it.

Geez, everybody is so damn uptight. My apologizes for contributing an opinion that differs from others. Fact is some people do tie to save money so why must this be cut out of the conversation. Why is there a problem with seeing $$$ in the word value and more importantly why can there be no differing opinions in a discussion. a different opinion is not a lack of respect nor does it mean we're debating something ad nauseam. pretty much every topic is beat up ad nauseam. Seems to me this is a sign of a successful site.

Sorry Mark for dragging this back into the gutter. I'm out now.

Geez, everybody is so damn uptight. My apologizes for contributing an opinion that differs from others. Fact is some people do tie to save money so why must this be cut out of the conversation. Why is there a problem with seeing $$$ in the word value and more importantly why can there be no differing opinions in a discussion. a different opinion is not a lack of respect nor does it mean we're debating something ad nauseam. pretty much every topic is beat up ad nauseam. Seems to me this is a sign of a successful site.

Sorry Mark for dragging this back into the gutter. I'm out now.

PD, I think we are actually singing the same tune and the lyrics are not in Latin.

I will reserve further comments for the moment... Perhaps flytire and then Chell would like to say something more.... and thereafter everyone can structure the commentary more like the initial post and tidewater’s latest....

Mark, I answer yes and yes.

mikechell, nice system you have there

Mark, I answer yes and yes.

mikechell, nice system you have there

+1...Sandan, good to know you are still hanging here, hope you are still throwing down some top notch wraps... Carry On

Flat Rock native, I'm here, haven't had much time to take photos and post. Still wrapping away like crazy though. Thanks

Beaver, whitetail, black bear, duck and partridge are what I have in stuff that was harvested by friends. Borax and salt will cure anything. Just be sure you are vermin free before you put with your other stuff.

I whine and beg for wood duck to all my friends come the season. A prime male woody will make a tier smile for months.

My bible:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/fly-tying-materials_eric-leiser/603338/item/10834994/?mkwid=4uJkiKeH%7cdc&pcrid=424433831429&product=10834994&plc=&pgrid=104227158172&ptaid=pla-888581060331&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_content=4uJkiKeH%7cdc%7cpcrid%7c424433831429%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cproduct%7c10834994%7cslid%7c%7cpgrid%7c104227158172%7cptaid%7cpla-888581060331%7c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2uzf39GX6AIVDdvACh3lawZtEAQYASABEgJMsvD_BwE#isbn=0832903337&idiq=10834994