Fly Tying
petelangevin

Any shooters on here, need advice

On 7/15/2020 at 9:05 AM, petelangevin said:

I am looking for a single shot 22 for fun and to bring back memories from my childhood.   Anyone have experience with Stevens/Springfiels/Savage models 15a/b or 120a?  I was trying to find a bolt action similar to what my late uncle had when we were kids.   Bolt action that had to be cocked by pulling back a knob at the rear of the bolt.   

I know there are plenty of these out there.   

The gun you are talking about is an early model Winchester (pat. 1876 or thereabouts) chambered for .22 short cartridges that was produced for a long time. You could prob find one of them cheap at a gun show.

The rifle per my older brother took s-l-lr.  Our uncle used to have a coffee can with a mix of types in it.   We had had a few things we had to shoot at like a bell and some other things that made noise.   

It may have been a winchester or maybe an old sears (which could have been made by any of the big companies).  I have my eyes open for one of a half dozen models.  Most of which can be had cheap.   And yes hoping gun shows will be around this fall.

Apparently there is also a model for s-l-lr. The one I use sometimes (I mostly use a 5-shot bolt action Winchester .22 s/l/lr or a Sako Rikimaki .222 Rem.) is very small (as in small overall length) for .22 short only, I'm reasonably sure, (can't check now, there is a possibility that I'm wrong and it does also take long and lr cartridges) but there is a model that's bigger. 

I like the idea of being able to use pretty much everything other than 22mag.  A lot of the tube fed rifles shot s-l-lr as well.   

Pretty rare to run into anything other than 22lr these days I think I've only seen 22long once, shorts are more common but very pricey in comparison.