Fly Tying
DogtaEff

Can anyone identify this fish?

1 hour ago, Jaydub said:

Notice that the Round Whitefish has an adipose fin, the fish in question does not.

Nice catch. (so to speak)

14 hours ago, DogtaEff said:

Fallfish it is!!!

Caught quite a few this week.

Good on ya!  Bend the rod, increase the knowledge base, enrich the pastime as you go.

Kinda figured you'd go back through the thread and review Denduke's post with a discriminating eye for attributes on the two species.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/topic/91604-can-anyone-identify-this-fish/&do=findComment&comment=774469

Even with sketches and drawings, there's usually some hard attributes to go by in distinguishing similar species such as relative fin positions with these fish.  It'll prove more useful in the future as chubs and shiners can morph into some pretty interesting looking creatures during the spawning seasons.  Males can get downright freaky and the coloration alone throws anglers off on ID.  You'll encounter specimens that look as much like weapons as they do fish, but it's actually the same species you caught 6 months ago and it's just horny now (literally and figuratively).😍

1 hour ago, WWKimba said:

I can tell you with 100% assurance - it's not a bass!

Nooooop, at least not where DogtaEff fishes and wanders.  However, down south (a bit) in Ol' Virginny the fish is known to some as the Shenandoah Tarpon.  That's some serious panache in the world of flyfishing.  Perhaps a bit overstated, but who give a hock if they're biting and fighting well when nobody else is.  Check it out...https://dwr.virginia.gov/blog/fallfish-little-tarpon-of-the-commonwealth/

7 hours ago, knotjoe said:

Nooooop, at least not where DogtaEff fishes and wanders.  However, down south (a bit) in Ol' Virginny the fish is known to some as the Shenandoah Tarpon.  That's some serious panache in the world of flyfishing.  Perhaps a bit overstated, but who give a hock if they're biting and fighting well when nobody else is.  Check it out...https://dwr.virginia.gov/blog/fallfish-little-tarpon-of-the-commonwealth/

There's a favorite place I loved to fish near where I grew up.  It was an old gravel pit that they turned into a town park.  They divided it in two with an earthen dam and one side was for swimming the other was for fishing, picnicking and such.  This side was feed and drained by a small river.  I caught largemouth, smallmouth, perch, pickerel, rainbows, brookies , carp, bluegill,redear, and crappie.  When I went there I went FISHING not fishing for...

To my eye it's a Fall Fish.  In my area they are most often found in the same waters that hold trout.  They handle warm water better and are found in pretty much every river and stream with moving water year round.  I often fish for them through the hot months when I don't have the time to drive to cold water rivers.  For me Fall Fish are a great way of keeping my casting, drifting, hook setting and knot tying skills up for Autumn trout fishing, not to mention remembering where I keep everything in my pack.  They also fight like trout and are a lot of fun on light tackle.