Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Tips?

So, i am tying a artistic salmon fly, right? I get the body PERFECT. But then i start to tie the head, and that's where i go down hill. the head ends up being 1/4 of the whole fly. Sorry i don't have any pictures. I have been getting better, like this one that i tied for my mom for mothers day.

504031469_Annotation2020-05-12101700.thumb.png.56bda1792b08fb37d398844d642cb60e.png

That's pretty good, but the head still WAY to big.

Please help.

As with most things, practice is key. Your on the right track, you need to get control of how many thread wraps you are using to secure material. I normally secure with 5 wraps, slightly in front of each other. Then choose next material and b4 securing it  I take three wraps off. learning curve on Classics can be challenging, like properly marrying wings. The heads of Classics can be a bugga boo as well. im sure there are some videos that can get you going. 

James,

Bruce is absolutely spot on with his suggestions and techniques for tying in materials. Take the time to STUDY those Mike Radencich videos I sent you a while back, there is a wealth of valuable information to be had there. Keep tying and practicing!!!

The guys above have great advice. I'd also suggest that I think you are "biting off more than you can chew". Start tying some more simple patterns to develop your skills. before trying to move to a full on married wing salmon fly. I think you'll get better faster if you build slowly rather than stumbling through patterns that are too complex for your current skill set. But, above all keep practicing and you'll get there!

On 8/21/2020 at 8:18 AM, SalarMan said:

James,

Bruce is absolutely spot on with his suggestions and techniques for tying in materials. Take the time to STUDY those Mike Radencich videos I sent you a while back, there is a wealth of valuable information to be had there. Keep tying and practicing!!!

I’ve tied with Mike a couple of times, and he has his own technique. I’m fortunate enough to live close to John Mc Lain and through him I have tied with the best. For a few years he helped organize a annual fly tying symposium at Cleveland Museum of Natural History. We had options on who to take classes from, people like , Waslick, Nolte, Schmookler, Rendencich, Eugene Sunday, Chute, Wayne Luallen , ( 8 hrs. Class on thread control). I think it went in for at least 2 years maybe three and I took classes from them all. Great times tying , seems like I drifted off to less expensive tying

4E877A41-D1FA-41E5-906C-757A4E982FB0.jpeg