Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Please read these guidelines for critique

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

I was done with this thread until I saw your post SilverCreek, as it takes this thread/discussion in a whole new direction.  First, see what happens when you go on vacation?  I think you posed some valid important questions. I joined because I wanted to and still want to become a better tier.  I always welcome criticism even if I don't specifically ask. Others I'm sure have different opinions/feelings about that.  To reach the goal I just mentioned, my reason for joining, both display and sharing help. When I see  a pattern(s) that's something new, different or that has a technique I'm not familiar or competent at I throw a hook in the vise, get a new sharp razor blade and have at it. The classic salmon flies are perfect examples of what I'm trying to explain.  Additionally display and sharing are ways to help "enrich" others while at the same time, I hope that some of the flies I post do what other's flies do for me.  That's my fundamental purpose of this board. There are others: camaraderie, some banter back and forth, etc.  I'm sure everyone's mileage will differ.  You ask me, there's one rule of behavior, be polite.  How do you answer the questions you posed?  Which brings up a new thought. Maybe our brand new Moderator can start a thread about the purpose of the forums from the perspective of why members have joined, what they are trying to get out of the place, etc. ( I know I could probably start the thread, but our new mod needs some more on his plate. To make his bones so to speak. 😁

I was going to jump on you about starting the new thread yourself but you preempted it. Well played my friend.

1 hour ago, Bill_729 said:

I suppose it depends on who you ask. I think it would not exist at all in the absence of "marketing", so I would call that it's "fundamental purpose". It's like Facebook, but a niche market. That said, every member has his or her own personal reasons for visiting. I enjoy the heavy concentration of fly fishers, and general good humor (for anyone who read the recent "joke of the day": You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd! 🙂  ).   I've got some very good answers to some fly fishing questions too!  But after some consideration of your question for at least a few minutes now, my favorite "purpose", which has come rather indirectly, has been the development of social relationships with some others here.

I don't pretend to talk for Will, the owner, but I'm pretty sure that this site is a lot like a boat for him, it's just a big money pit for him that he just keeps dumping money in. In short, he don't make much from us here. I'm sure, at first he thought it would be good for marketing but now he just keeps it up for "Good Will" He He.

26 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

I don't pretend to talk for Will, the owner, but I'm pretty sure that this site is a lot like a boat for him, it's just a big money pit for him that he just keeps dumping money in. In short, he don't make much from us here.

That may be true, but that's only speculation on your part.  There are some who do (make money). Think of the kayak market for instance (there's got to be a lot of darn profit in some of those things!)  He could try to get them to "subsidize" him for his losses, sort of like he is serving a chamber of commerce (as spelled out or not, he is).  Browsing my ledger, even E-bay is a beneficiary.  Mikechell is probably the only one not throwing at least a coupla-hundred a year into this hobby, at least--and even he has to register his boat! : )  It's amusing to consider the combined related spending by the totality of the membership. IMO, if it's a big money pit for Will, he's "playing his hand" wrong (and it is said that the owner of something generally knows, better than anyone else, the value of what it is they have). 

long before you new guys were here this forum had a handful of sponsors that would have helped will in paying some bills

they died out like the dinosaurs

will also owns green caddis outfitters that might make him a few dollars

13 minutes ago, Bill_729 said:

That may be true, but that's only speculation on your part.  There are some who do (make money). Think of the kayak market for instance (there's got to be a lot of darn profit in some of those things!)  He could try to get them to "subsidize" him for his losses, sort of like he is serving a chamber of commerce (as spelled out or not, he is).  Browsing my ledger, even E-bay is a beneficiary.  Mikechell is probably the only one not throwing at least a coupla-hundred a year into this hobby, at least--and even he has to register his boat! : )  It's amusing to consider the combined related spending by the totality of the membership. IMO, if it's a big money pit for Will, he's "playing his hand" wrong (and it is said that the owner of something generally knows, better than anyone else, the value of what it is they have). 

I didn't say nobody was making money selling fly hooks and fly boxes. I didn't even say he wasn't making any money doing it. I said, I didn't think he was making money from this site. When's the last time you bought from him?

I have a little bit of knowledge on that point. I once posted about helping to support this site by buying from Green Caddis Outfitters, the response was negative, waaaaay negative.

Also, I run several web sites. It's very hard to make a nickle on a web site. People do, but it's hard (unless you're a Kardashian) There's just so much out there, competition is fierce.

2 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I was going to jump on you about starting the new thread yourself but you preempted it. Well played my friend.

Great minds....

On 9/25/2020 at 10:40 AM, flytire said:

long before you new guys were here this forum had a handful of sponsors that would have helped will in paying some bills

they died out like the dinosaurs

will also owns green caddis outfitters that might make him a few dollars

Hi Norm, I did a little checking on this, there were some sponsors at first, J Stockard was one of them. It seems there were so many complaints about the sponsors that (I am told) Will couldn't get a sponsor for this site now, for love nor money. I haven't spoken to Will, this is second hand knowledge, so take it for what it's worth.

2 hours ago, flytire said:

clear cure goo was another sponsor

Whiting ought to send a few bucks his way...  Don't the companies that sell fly fishing goods embrace in joint marketing/lobbying/etc.? Seems to me that they would be sort of dumb not to...  I can imagine a company like Orvis purchasing a site like this one.