Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fcflyguy

smallmounth what to use

I have not fished for bass with a flyrod scince I was little and was fishing on our pond with deerhair I just died on hooks and gave in some action.I was about 10 years old then. I been fishing for trout ,steelhead and lake run brouns now for along time with pretty good luck. I want to try my luck for some smallmounth bass in some in by streams(pa) and also the Clarion river. I was wounrding what to carry on me . I tyied up some woolybuggers , hellamite and clouser any other ideas? dunno.gif fcflyguy

QUOTE (fcflyguy @ Mar 31 2005, 06:45 PM)
I was wounrding what to carry on me . I tyied up some woolybuggers , hellamite and clouser any other ideas? dunno.gif fcflyguy

This is about the only fly you'll need to fish smallies on creeks from May through late July and even beyond. It is an excellent crayfish imitation and a superb Johnny Darter imitation - a creature many fishermen overlook as an important bait. They are one of the most prolific baitfishes in Ohio and likely in most of the midwest. Tie a few in size 6 using medium lead eyes and then fish it ON THE BOTTOM using a hand twist retrieve.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act...show&showid=564

Tight lines and release that bronze!

Joe C.

That's a good choice cornmuse. I've been tying somethign like that with Kit Fox tail for some time and it's a killer. Just remember that smallmouth are meat eaters and your fly selection can work itself out. Big thick nymphs, Wooly Buggers, Clousers, Dahlberg Divers, Gurglers.

NONE of which I had this afternoon when I stopped by a nearby creek on the way home this morning and found a school of nice Smallmouth literally jumping OUT of the water grabbing baitfish. I MUST remember to add streamer to my emergency fly box!