Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Maction17

My first flies

Hi folks,

New to tying, so new to the forum. A northeasterner born and bred, I'm moving with my family to south Florida in June 2021. While I'll miss the seasons, my favorite place to fish is Everglades Nat. Park, so I'm pumped about that. I turned 40 over the weekend, so I kicked off the new decade by diving into tying for the first time (since I was probably 12 and lost patience). Here are my first two flies; both attempts are patterns my favorite guide in ENP ties on for me when we're on his skiff.

The part I've found most challenging is getting the craft fur to cooperate-- even when I've wrapped thread over it down the entirety of the shank, a fair bit still seems to pull out. This was less of an issue when I tied my third fly, so I'm optimistic I'll figure it out. 

Happy to be aboard.

-Mac

IMG_7209.jpeg

62926273240__99E388E1-EB7F-4CC1-8BFB-11F7DE8F1E5C.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Maction17 said:

The part I've found most challenging is getting the craft fur to cooperate-- even when I've wrapped thread over it down the entirety of the shank, a fair bit still seems to pull out. This was less of an issue when I tied my third fly, so I'm optimistic I'll figure it out. 

-Mac

Welcome,  decent ties for someone who’s been away from it for a while.

Two points:  Make sure you get all the short craft fur and fluff removed from the butt ends.  A good brushing with a stiff toothbrush help accomplish that.  Second, after securing the craft fur with a few wraps, add a bit of cement, UV resin or superglue to the wraps.  It will soak in and help secure the fur.  Finish with all the wraps you need and use the cement again.  Bullet proof.

25 minutes ago, mikemac1 said:

Welcome,  decent ties for someone who’s been away from it for a while.

Two points:  Make sure you get all the short craft fur and fluff removed from the butt ends.  A good brushing with a stiff toothbrush help accomplish that.  Second, after securing the craft fur with a few wraps, add a bit of cement, UV resin or superglue to the wraps.  It will soak in and help secure the fur.  Finish with all the wraps you need and use the cement again.  Bullet proof.

Ah ha! Yep, that would do it! I was removing the fluff as best I could, but the resin suggestion is a great one. 

They look good.  Not something we would use in the Northeast.  Don't abandon your Northeast patterns,   Surf Candies and other silverside or bay anchovy patterns should work for what the call rain bait down south.  Mullet patterns could come into play.  Peanut Bunker patterns, probably with some change in colors,  should work.  Good start in getting the Southern salt water patterns down.

25 minutes ago, Philly said:

They look good.  Not something we would use in the Northeast.  Don't abandon your Northeast patterns,   Surf Candies and other silverside or bay anchovy patterns should work for what the call rain bait down south.  Mullet patterns could come into play.  Peanut Bunker patterns, probably with some change in colors,  should work.  Good start in getting the Southern salt water patterns down.

Great point. And the trips I've taken down there have often resulted in fish coming to hand on a deceiver or clouser. 

On 12/10/2020 at 8:02 AM, Maction17 said:

Hi folks,

New to tying, so new to the forum. A northeasterner born and bred, I'm moving with my family to south Florida in June 2021. While I'll miss the seasons, my favorite place to fish is Everglades Nat. Park, so I'm pumped about that. I turned 40 over the weekend, so I kicked off the new decade by diving into tying for the first time (since I was probably 12 and lost patience). Here are my first two flies; both attempts are patterns my favorite guide in ENP ties on for me when we're on his skiff.

Happy to be aboard.

-Mac

IMG_7209.jpeg

62926273240__99E388E1-EB7F-4CC1-8BFB-11F7DE8F1E5C.jpeg

Great looking ties! Are you getting short strikes(hitting the tail, short of the hook) with that length?