Fly Tying
Michigan Trout Guy

Involuntary Swim

How many times have you gotten deep enough for your waders to begin to take on water?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5...jeez I think I've already had five this year.

Wade out to some point or bar and stay until the tide has come in behind you, man I do that like every time.

The I'll just get out of the yak and stretch my legs since its shallow here never taking into account the mud.

And then just not paying attention when wading a river thats like a few dozen easy.

And twice I got knocked off my feet by white water rafters...damn hippies.

More times than I can count.

Many of the streams here in central pa have slippery algae covered rock bottoms. Two years ago I purchased a pair of studded felt bottom wading shoes.

I also picked up one of those folding wading staffs ($29 from Bass Pro). I have never gone swimming with it in hand. Like having a third leg.

This has helped tremendously, but right before Christmas I tripped over a rock crossing in the rapids (two feet deep), fell to my knees, fell over face down, filled my waders down to my wading belt (never leave home without it). Laughed so hard, I difficult time making back to my feet. I had my wading staff folded up on my belt (duh).

My wading belt saved me many times. It really keeps your waders from filling up.

Conehead

Fortunately...so far i haven't made it down yet.... I've slipped a few times and taken a whole bunch of steps in one place, but was able to recover before getting wet.

cool.gif

I bailed in 2 feet of water and if I didnt get up as quick as I fell I probably wouldnt be writing this. Amazing how much water your waders can take on in such little time.

Was on the PM at Clay banks yesterday. 'Bout got wet a few times. Have a bad leg which I'll use for my excuse this time. A couple times cause I was trying to walk through the rapids that are down stream. Another cause I was trying to retreave my last lucky fly off a log in deeper water. The current was strong too. I don't know how I stayed up. Got the fly, then found the fly line gut hung up. Had to pull the fly and leader off and reel the fly through the jam.

Fell in a muskrat hole to my chest two nights ago thinking about casting. Ten two, ten two. I'll never do that again, I cast fine but the recent post of the younge girls casting got me thinking. I did not have waders on and I'm glad, it was hard enough to get out of that %^%$^ hole.

Hey folks, how about those times that you slipped.....tapped danced for 30 feet trying to stay upright....then fell anyway. Just in time to get everyone elses attention.