Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Calf tail or deer belly hair?

Which one floats better?  I’m tying a fly that needs some float.  Don’t need long fibers but just need better float.   I’m guessing deer hair.  This will not have floatant as it’s not a dry fly, but I’m using this part to keep a saltwater shrimp fly from having to tie super heavy dumbbells and still keep it hook point up.  

Calf tail has been used for divided wings on dries for a long time but not particularly for its floatation but for its easy handling, shape holding, and durability.  Deer belly floats but is harder to use in some apps due to its tendency to flare. bulk up at its base, and lose its shape after a few fish.  It works best tied in sparse on single wing, flared back.  patterns like trudes IMO.

31 minutes ago, McFlyLures said:

Yeah I thought the same thing, just wanted to be sure.   Thank you!  

NP, sir

Here's a pic of a favorite old bonefish bug that I used tie up in quantity.. It features a heavy calftail wing but still allows the fly to sink - while keeping the point up...

Clear Charlie

Hook:  #4 Mustad 34007

Thread:  4lb monofilament (re-cycled from reel onto thread bobbin)

Eyes:  medium bead chain  (#5)

Body:  multiple strands of pink pearl flashabou under -wrapped around the hook as a unit,  medium clear V-rib over

Wing:  tan calf tail

Flash:  Sparse amount of pearl Flashabou Accent with staggered ends over wing.

Head:  built up 4lb mono

Cement:  Krazy Glue (original thin formula), then covered by Sally Hansen's if desired

lDafNTM.jpg

It's the one on the lower left... Old school - very old school....  Note all of the bugs shown sit wings up on the bottom - the top two have bucktail wings - the Charlie has calftail.

In my opinion - it's not the material's flotation that counts - its' the amount of it on the reverse side of the hook... 

The fly I am tying is my own version of the banana stand fly which hooked me a nice redfish last trip. But the fly I bought from the fly shop was tied on a thin wire hook which I’m sure it’s because they needed less weight to get it to swim hook point up.  Anyway I bent the hook on the fish and lost it.  I wanted to tie it on a more stout hook but I was having trouble getting it to ride hook point up.   Anyway I’ve figured out how to do it without adding more weight, thanks for your help guys.  I’ve tested it in water now and it works.  I used deer belly hair.  

04A205F0-2FA4-48A8-BD89-53574D4D7759.jpeg