Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
kerusso

Pat's Rubber Legs

Wanted to get some feedback from you all ...... I've been tying a lot of Pat's Rubber flies of late in some various colors.  I enjoy tying them and the question I have concerns the 3 sets of legs behind the antennae.  I have seen some pattern have two sets of legs while most patterns have three sets of legs.  Stoneflies that I have seen have three sets of legs.  My question is:  does the pattern need two or three sets of legs?  Have you fished the fly with two sets of legs with success?  I have always fished three sets of legs ....... but does it really matter?  I'm curious to know if any of you have seen a decrease in your angling acumen due to using a two legged  pattern as opposed to a three legged pattern.  Thanks

As has been said on similar topics many times ... fish can't count.  As long as there's some movement to the legs or the fly, imparted by the angler or the materials, then the fish will see that as "life" and attempt to eat it.  Yes, there's some "matching the hatch" at times, but I believe that's more size than realism.

For most fishing situations, I think more legs just adds to the movement. 

In George Grants book Montana Trout Flies, he describes the Rubber Legs as having 3 pairs of rubber legs, the tail and antennae are turkey quill fiber.  The Girdle Bug is shown with the tails and 3 pairs of legs all rubber, and no antennae.  As Mike said, its movement more than the number.  I usually tie all mine with 3 pairs of legs.

I agree that the number doesn't matter. Tails, antennae and four legs will give it a lot of movement.  The rubber legged version of Kaufmann's stone, arguably one of the best stonefly nymphs ever devised, is usually tied with two sets of legs. It also has three wing pads, when real stoneflies have two.