Fly Tying
Alex C.

World Record Swap

I think we should wait to hear from Guiness, so we know what constitutes a "legal" swap. I used to watch a show called called "Big" on the Discovery channel. These guys took every-day items and just made them really big...picture a 50 ft tall electric guitar. On a few episodes they contacted the world record people, and thought they had a world record, but due to some small detail ( like making parts of a coo-coo clock out of foam and not wood) they were disqualified. Hearing from these people first might help to gain a perspective on any world record attempt.

I don't think I would tie 100+ flies for the sake of tying 100+ flies, but if were part of something larger, like a world record, I'd be down with it.

QUOTE (CapeBSalar @ Apr 28 2005, 09:39 PM)
Hey Guys,

I had another idea also. Those interested could add a couple more $$ in with their flies and they could get their sorted flies in a fly box. I can get small plastic fly boxes at wholesale in bulk and depending on the # of guys interested Canadian side and US side I could bulk order the boxes, ship the req'd # to you to package your flies and I could have the canadian guys here.

I'd then pack all 100 or so flies in a nice box, get some labels etc and do up certificates of participation, I can design and photocopy 100 or so cert's at work no problem.

I dunno, just a couple ideas to add a little something extra to the experience.
I'd say only about $5.00USD a box per person and the appropriate postage to cover small parcel.

Just a thought to keep on the back burner. I'd just hate to see 100 flies get all smooshed.

I'm also still keen on doing the booklet with the contributions from the swappers. I'd photograph and edit all flies submitted.

LOL!

Cheers,
I'm with ya 110% on this Skunked. I know it can be done!
Damian
headbang.gif

Or the flys you send in can be in a return postage paid box of your own.

And what about return post,Its not fair the swap host pays your postage

back.

Is there still only 25 odd people on board?

Im still looking at work for takers.

Looking forward to my 100 plus new flys. yahoo.gif

I am surprised I missed this, what the hey. I always wanted to be in the G.B.W.R.!We could donate all the flies as an F.T.F. contest prize. Now that would be something that everyone should consider. Break the world record and recive all the flies as well. Thats what you call cooking with fire. What a treat that would be. Do you guys realize what the flies would be worth? The cost of a 2005 F.T.F pattern book and then some. You got me hooked, when and where do I sighn up?

QUOTE (skunked @ Apr 30 2005, 04:18 PM)
I also like the idea of breaking it up, good idea about the CD conehead. WHat do you think cape?

I think that's a great idea! It would be alot easier to do. I'll also did up some pics of a couple boxes that we could use and post them also in a few days. I'm super duper busy with work and the move that's coming up the 15th. But I'll drop in and out at least once a day.

Damian

Any info on this one guys. I thought about this and how many people have there name in that book? What a great way to have it in there. This is one of the best things I have seen promoting fly tying, in a while.

I agree with Daryn, hopefully this will materialize and become a reality. I think that by t he time we hear from GWR and fall rolls around the # of participants should hopefully rise. I still think it would be a great idea to split the total # of flies tied into smaller lots of a couple different patterns to break the monotony, that could be a major selling point to some of the folks who don't like production tying.

Damian

Skunked, I'm in, whatever it takes. I was part of a Guiness record: most people playing chess simultaneously. This happened in the main square of Mexico City a couple of years ago, and it was fun. We got to keep the chess board, t shirts and caps..... nothing big, but it was pretty fun. I'm a strong believer that this can be done.

I will also check with my tying buddies here in Mexico if someone wants to join. I don't promise too many will, but I'll try. I can also contact some people in Argentina and Chile, and hopefully get more "international" participation.

I'll do surface flies: 1. Adams 2. Serendipity. 3. Caddis emergent 4. Royal Humpy.... 25 each, will see about sizes later.

serenade.gif

OK I might change my mind about this one. The only way I'm going to be in this swap if you guys are one tier short of the GBWR. This way I can be a real difference. devil.gif