Fly Tying

I go through 3 pairs of sneakers and 1 pair of shoes every year. I surely would never expect to get  5 years from waders?. I buy 150 dollar cabelas waders and can get at least 2 or 3 good years from them, sometimes more.  When I start getting wet I chuck them and get another pair just like I do with sneakers. I know I can spend 600 to a thousand for a big name brand that might last an extra trip or two before leaking. I choose to replace with another pair of cheap waders in a couple years over wearing really expensive waders full of wader repair goop (and still getting wet feet) because I can’t afford or don’t want to buy another pair for another 6 years. 

buying waders sucks but it is what it is. I fully felt your wader frustrations in your story so very well stated. 

Although I've never had a pair of high end waders, I've tried a few on that fit too snug in the feet.  Easy on and off is of huge importance to an old timer like me.

I fish a lot of brushy stuff.  Cabelas high and dry work nicely but they do leak pretty quickly.  Does anyone have a suggestion? 

21 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I go through 3 pairs of sneakers and 1 pair of shoes every year. I surely would never expect to get  5 years from waders?. I buy 150 dollar cabelas waders and can get at least 2 or 3 good years from them, sometimes more.  When I start getting wet I chuck them and get another pair just like I do with sneakers. I know I can spend 600 to a thousand for a big name brand that might last an extra trip or two before leaking. I choose to replace with another pair of cheap waders in a couple years over wearing really expensive waders full of wader repair goop (and still getting wet feet) because I can’t afford or don’t want to buy another pair for another 6 years. 

buying waders sucks but it is what it is. I fully felt your wader frustrations in your story so very well stated. 

You must be rough on shoes.  I have shoes that I wear on a regular basis. One pair of New Balance sneakers is about 6 years old. Wore them today and the wife commented that they still look good. Wife and I have Hodgman waders. Hers leaked but got it patched with Aquaseal. Going to try mine Monday.

I walk 6 miles every night no matter what the weather is doing. Sneaker soles wear fast and the insoles break down  to the point where they no longer provide the right comfort and support which is important when one foot don’t work right. 

As much as I would prefer not to, I just expect waders to leak so I buy them often. I don’t like it but I’ve just come to accept it and choose not to break the bank for waders that I know will leak. 

On 1/27/2022 at 9:10 PM, Poopdeck said:

Like you I've been buying the $150 pairs until the $300 set this past summer.  Prior to those the best pair was my LL Beans and they lasted me 3 years but by the 3rd season year I was pretty wet and cold. Most other brands have only made it a year.  So will the $600/pair be worth it?  I have no idea.  I hope so.  $600 is ridiculous for waders if you ask me. Orvis is giving me a fair deal and with the supply chain issues and inflation  I may not be able to get a set like this again.   So what we have here is an interesting experiment in "Do you really get what you pay for"- we'll see.....

Poopdeck If your expecting to replace them every few years anyway you should consider LL Bean.   The warranty info is below, they will replace any of their waders with an identical new pair for $75.  I have a brand new set hanging in my basement as a back up that I got as a replacement for the first pair and I can tell you it was no questions asked.   If the new set of Orvis fail me I will go right back to buying Beans every few years.  Currently they only have smalls available-  This supply chain issue B.S. has got to stop!  

image.thumb.png.a51ded4a648b642283f3cbc439026ebc.png

Capture.thumb.PNG.59be10a91a30dfd3d86a6ed7b47a7ccc.PNG

Wow that seems very reasonable. I’m actually considering going up in price range for one reason……… as I get older a front zipper is becoming a necessity. leaky waders take on a whole new meaning  as you get older. 

12 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Wow that seems very reasonable. I’m actually considering going up in price range for one reason……… as I get older a front zipper is becoming a necessity. leaky waders take on a whole new meaning  as you get older. 

Recently I talked with the owners of a fly shop about the zipper. Their consensus is they will eventually leak.

It’s rare, like pretty much never that I would ever be wading that deep so a leaky zipper is not as concerning to me as a leaky stocking foot. Another benefit of getting older is I don’t care to catch fish enough to place myself 51% or more under water. 

On 2/1/2022 at 5:01 PM, Poopdeck said:

It’s rare, like pretty much never that I would ever be wading that deep so a leaky zipper is not as concerning to me as a leaky stocking foot. Another benefit of getting older is I don’t care to catch fish enough to place myself 51% or more under water. 

Same here I rarely need to go deeper my knees-   Still on a pair of $800 waders that zipper should never leak.  

I have received the new Orvis Pros and although I haven't waded with them yet my first impressions are all positive.  As I mentioned in my first post the deal was to turn in my year old $298.00 Orvis Ultra Lights plus $140 for the upgrade.  What Orvis actually charged me was $80 so my total out of pocket cost was $378 plus tax.  The pros currently list for $599.00 so that's a win.  They certainly feel more rugged then what I'm used too.  They fit me well and have few comforts/features the previous pair didn't have.  They have removable knee pads, fleece lined side pockets and two zippered water "resistant" pockets and everything seems to be good quality.   All those features are nice but I would gladly trade all of them for simply being water proof, long term.  A member here posted that there are 2 types of waders in the world, those that leak and those that will.  I 100% agree with that but with such a high list price I would like to get a few seasons out of them before I have to chase leaks.   So the real test will be how long will they remain water proof?   Considering these are supposed to be the top of the line tech combined with me doing my part - wearing only cotton or fleece pants underneath, avoiding taking the short cuts off trail through the forest and hanging them after every outing I'm really hopeful leaking won't become a problem for good long while.