Fly Tying
Gene L

Atlanta show

18 hours ago, Sandan said:

Just got back from the Denver show. It's was at a new venue this year. Maybe a bite bigger than 2 years ago. Plenty, more than plenty, of outfitters. Lots of vendors selling most everything. The tying wall was good. Caught up with my old friend Tim Cammisa and had an interesting conversation regarding Atlantic salmon flies with Ted Patlen. The bamboo section was pretty good. Chatted with most of them including my buddy Alan Kube. In fact I picked up my 8'3" 5wt quad from him on Tuesday just passed. Got a private guided tour of Jeff Hatton's traveling fly rod museum. Rods from the late 1700's til the 40s. That was fascinating and educational. A great 2fer. Never made it to any demos. Spent about 3 hours just wandering. Of course you have to buy something so I bought a lump of tying wax. And this.... All in all it was a pretty fun way to spend a Sunday morning without being on the water itself. 

20220213_143516.jpg

That's a beautiful looking skin!

20 minutes ago, DFoster said:

That's a beautiful looking skin!

I agree. The guy Eric Way, Gunpowder Custom Tackle, had THE BEST goodie bag. Not all on display but in his secret stash. Snipe, jack snipe, curlew, golden plover, waterhen, bloa a gorgeous chocolate dun Metz neck blue-bellied roller just to name a few. And tons of silk thread too. 

2 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

I use his "Keene" white wax, which I like a lot.

He's a really nice guy also. I bought a lump 721 tying wax too. In fact the displayed skins caught my eye. Grabbed a lump of wax and on a whim asked if he had a woodcock skin. That opened the gates. In fact he mentioned that the gates open if you ask the "right" question(s). Guess I did...luckily.  Might have to give the Keene's a try on your say so my friend