Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

The WD 40

WD-40s are probably one of the most widely used baetis emerger and midge pupa patterns.   The key to their success is not just their effectiveness in catching fish, but mostly because they are very easy and quick to tie.  You can tie dozens in an hour, and therefor it has become one of the most widely used guide flies for western tailwaters.  These guides in many summer months will have a customer every single day, many of which loose a bunch of their flies.   When they get home, after pulling up the boat and getting things organized for the next day, they need to tie more flies for the next day or week.   They only have a few hours to tie, and therefor need to tie up some quick patterns so they can fill up boxes with flies that the customers lost.   This is where the term "guide style fly" came from.  Almost entirely easy and quick to tie flies that plain work in catching trout.   

The simplicity of the WD-40 also gives another benefit.  The ability to tie these very very small.  I have tied these down to size 26 before.  Now not all rivers require small flies, but some rivers, especially western tailwaters, do require smaller flies to get bites.  And the more simple the fly, the easier it is to tie them small.  

4 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

For historical context, here is a Fly Fisherman magazine article on Mark Engler, inventor of the WD-40

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/mark-engler-the-man-who-created-the-wd-40/151699

https://duranglers.com/mark-englers-wd-40-nymph/

Yeah, I met that guy.  Very nice man, very great fisherman.  Ive seen a few videos on him tying it.  He used to with a straight hook from what I remember.  Also I think rabbit fur dubbing instead of synthetic.  But man, he could bust these out quickly!   I used to work at a fly shop on the San Juan River.  I lived right near Duranglers also and stopped in there all the time.  He was always very nice when I met him.  

Did you know Peggy Harrell? 

She is one of the best female fly fishers I have ever met. I met her many years ago along with Chuck when she used to work at for him at Rizzutos. Those were good times.

1 hour ago, SilverCreek said:

She is one of the best female fly fishers I have ever met. I met her many years ago along with Chuck when she used to work at for him at Rizzutos. Those were good times.

I don’t recall that name no.   

On 2/10/2022 at 1:01 PM, SilverCreek said:

I think that she's still at rizzutos. I remember a lady named peggy there last year. Slim, attractive, talked about that monster brown hanging at the back of the restaurant.  She was running the shop and doing breakfast. Said she needed someone to tie a bunch of wooly buggers. I almost took her up on it.