Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chasing_Tails

Schools is in, north central Florida

Been a few weeks since being on the water so it was nice to get out to a marsh/flat area that can be phenomenal during the winter time with schooling reds (or it is completely barren).

Launched just after sunrise and got onto the flat just before full high tide. Worked the west side and found absolutely nothing, so time to try the north side. I didn't get too far and all of sudden the water stood up and started to move. A good sized school was working off the oyster bars just outside of the marsh. Being able to stand up in the kayak has been a game changer for casting and also spotting the fish. I didn't need to see the fish today though as the wall of water they were pushing was effective in determining their direction and speed. The push pole became my shallow water anchor and a few false casts later put the skip shrimp just ahead of the main push. Two strips later and it was pounced on. I don't really know how many fish tried to eat it, but one finally stuck. A great fight with some strong runs and the first red of the day came to the boat. After a quick release it was off to find the school again. They hadn't gone to far before I picked them up again and repeated the process with a slightly larger fish at 26". 

Ended the day with 6 total and off the water by noon as the schools were pretty spooky by that time and started to figure out what was going on. Wintertime does make the fishing a bit more difficult, but when it works out it can create a memorable day.

EF512A1A-BA0D-4BA2-902D-98B3C2073EF6.JPEG.fc64b817b132c78f7c127cb700452d7f.JPEG

When you find reds (or black drum) schooled up, they can get very competitive and actually push each other out of the way to strike a fly or lure…

Unfortunately where we find them when they’re schooled along the coast of the Everglades they’re being followed by bull sharks so closely that the moment you hook up the sharks attack and the reds scatter…

Great fun for a moment or two then all of them, sharks and all are gone… This only happens for us in the fall when small groups of bull reds come inshore for a few weeks… then disappear back out into the Gulf.